ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
--microwave oven --

Had a few (chewing the fat) discussions with some inspectors regarding this.
Is a MW truly a "cooking" appliance?

Arguments in both directions, so we usualy leave the way we arrived... Unsure.

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

G
A microwave is a cooking appliance in the same way a dime is a screwdriver.

Greg Fretwell
B
What if it is a combination microwave, convection oven, and toaster, still counter-top and/or cabinet hung...?

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
L
I would be inclined to say that IF those 3 are present as a single unit and PERMANENTLY installed, or the toaster and c-oven are PERMANETLY installed . then YES "permanent cooking facilities" is met.The cord is just a disconnect.

If the same device/s are setting on the counter and can be carried away. Then NO.

B
Originally Posted by leland
I would be inclined to say that IF those 3 are present as a single unit and PERMANENTLY installed, or the toaster and c-oven are PERMANETLY installed . then YES "permanent cooking facilities" is met.The cord is just a disconnect.

If the same device/s are setting on the counter and can be carried away. Then NO.

So then what hazard is created that would necessitate gfci protection for all receptacles installed in an office break room that has a combination microwave permanently installed verses one that is siting on the counter-top?

This logic is exactly opposite to what is required in dwelling kitchens. Only countertop receptacles are required to be gfci protected in dwelling kitchens, regardless as to what other equipment is installed, such as microwaves or hoods.

The bottom line, in my opinion, is that the section is makes no sense. The hazards that substantiate gfci protection are not created by the installation method of the cooking appliances...

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
G
I doubt you are ever going to see that convection oven in a break room.

Greg Fretwell
B
No, I don't. But, I do see alot of sinks, refrigerators, toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, mixers, ect. All the typical stuff you would find in a dwelling kitchen but not a commercial kitchen (per definition).

So what makes the use of this equipment unsafe in a home but okay in an office?

Last edited by BPHgravity; 03/10/08 01:46 PM.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
G
If you are saying we should put GFCIs on the receptacles serving counter tops in break rooms I would not have a huge problem with the idea but I would be hard pressed to find a code section to justify it (>5' from a sink). Calling it a "commercial kitchen" and requiring GFCIs on every receptacle in there is really code creep.

Greg Fretwell
W
wiking Offline OP
Update: I put GFI's in the breakroom so that I wouldn't have a delay passing my inspection, which was important. The boss hasn't realized I cost him an extra $30 yet.
The inspector that was requiring it was filling in for the regular one who was doing office duty that week, so when I called for my final, the regular guy came out. I immediately asked him if he considered this a commercial kitchen and he just shook his head. He said that he would have a talk with the other guy and set him straight.
I appreciate all the responses and next time will stand up to the inspector and if he has a problem will let you guys work him over. Thanks.

G
Sounds like the perfect reason to go to the IAEI meetings. Then you can have things like this out with a room full of inspectors and hopefully they all walk away with the same opinion.

Greg Fretwell
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard