ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#173535 01/11/08 10:21 PM
What could people be thinking??? confused This is for a chemical pump that is plugged in 24/7... the upper socket is burnt, the reset is popped out and there's still power to the outlets... Oh BTW.. The cover is upside down!

[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

problem solved... (No the GFI isn't SecurE, it's Leviton wink )
[Linked Image from electricalphotos.com]

T
You still have a support issue IMO.

Dave

B
I agree with the support problem [314.23(F)]. But because it's easy to cast stones without offering solutions, in the future what about doing something like driving a piece of strut into the earth directly behind the box and bolting to that?

Otherwise, what you've done is a vast improvement over what was there initially.

-John

If this pump is running 24/7 (I'm assuming a permenant installation) wouldn't a cable gland with the flex entering into an isolating switch be a better solutoin than a plug & socket?

(Here you'd get away with no RCD/GCGI so a cost saving would also be realised)

R
I don't really understand an installation with a Class I, Division 1 fitting and a GFCI connected to each other.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
W
Originally Posted by resqcapt19
I don't really understand an installation with a Class I, Division 1 fitting and a GFCI connected to each other.
Don

I see that all the time, well not the GFCI but C1D1 fittings where it makes little sense. I even do it sometimes as thats what I carry on my truck smile

I
Originally Posted by 32VAC
If this pump is running 24/7 (I'm assuming a permenant installation) wouldn't a cable gland with the flex entering into an isolating switch be a better solution than a plug & socket?

The NEC is pretty restrictive about using cables or cords without plugs.

In this case another option might be to use a flexible conduit but then a disconnecting switch would likely be required.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I see that all the time, well not the GFCI but C1D1 fittings where it makes little sense. I even do it sometimes as thats what I carry on my truck smile

That's pretty much what happened here IMO, A GUAG or and EAJ box is way more common to have out here than a stock of Bell boxes... This is on top of a hill outside of class 1, div 1 near a lease water tank.

When I came across this, I was only on order to get rid of the General Protecht (or however they spelled it) GFCI's, and kinda stumbled upon this one (35 minutes before quitting time on Friday laugh ) I can install a piece of channel on the back of this and set it in fence post concrete, but they won't pay me OT to do that wink

As far as flexing, the Company we do the work for doesn't like these hardwired for reasons that if the pump dies in the middle of the night, they have to call us out to change it, vs. just plugging in a new pump. NTM these pumps just sit on the side of the tank with a couple hoses.(I'll get a pic when I go back)

Originally Posted by iwire
Originally Posted by 32VAC
If this pump is running 24/7 (I'm assuming a permenant installation) wouldn't a cable gland with the flex entering into an isolating switch be a better solution than a plug & socket?

The NEC is pretty restrictive about using cables or cords without plugs.

In this case another option might be to use a flexible conduit but then a disconnecting switch would likely be required.

Bob,
To a degree, I think that that was what Darren (32VAC) was talking about, as long as the isolator/disconnect can be locked open (OFF), I can't really see what the issue is.
Personally, I hate the idea of plugs and sockets being used outdoors, no matter how well they are "weather-protected" or even if they have GFCI protection on them, after all, how often are these devices tested?.
Just my $0.02 worth.

I
Mike, for the most part the NEC does not allow 'hard wiring' rubber cords. If we choose to use rubber cord in most instances a plug and receptacle is required.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard