ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (ampherder, Scott35), 259 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#172808 12/27/07 12:42 PM
A
In the 2008 NEC there is a new section 422.52. It requires GFI protection for Fountains. Drinking Fountains.
I thought this was resolved several years ago when the definition of Fountain in Article 680 clearified that it did not apply to drinking fointains.
This was the result of some inspectors requiring GFI protection at Drinking Fountains . Unless people were wading in the fountain, GFI was considered unneeded. smile
Now they stick it in 422. One person reportedly died from a drinking fountain incident, because the ground prong was cut off the cord !
It is becoming an embarassment to enforce the Code with a straight face.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

A
Not having the read the new article I am limited in my ability to comment upon it intelligently.

That being said however....what is wrong with requireing GFCI protection for drinking fountains? I have been at this a while and can remember three specific instances where I did calls that involved energized fountains. While no one died or was seriously harmed, in principle they could have been.

Sort of reminds me of the resturant kitchens I have been to where they warned you that the cooler/freezer would shock you if you touched it while grounded. Yet they continued to use them and only mentioned it as ancillary to the reason I was there on a call.

Chilled water drinking fountains contain both a compressor and a condensor, a condensate tray often with electric heat, and other sometimes electrically powered controls. They also are subject to vibration because of the compressor which could lead to cable wear and fatigue at terminals.

Once upon a time when all drinking fountains were connected rigidly to both a metallic supply and metallic drain both of which were grounded these concerns had no merit. Any fault within the appliance would constitute a ground fault sufficent to trip the branch circuit breaker. This is no longer true however.

You may continue to enforce the code with a straight face, drinking fountains are exactly the type of appliance that can benefit from GFCI protection.

I
I can't see this requirement as a bad thing.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
Thats fine. GFCI, within 6' of a sink. But nothing within 6" of your face?

I think it is over due.

Tamper resistant and AFCI.... I won't go there now.

Alan:
I have to concur with all of the above. GFI protection cannot cause any 'problems', and the cost factor is negligable.

Now, how about one of the MFG coming out with a single receptacle GFI device? 15 & 20 amp...and make the $$ comparable with a faceless/deadfront OR a decent duplex GFI

John
L
Breaker for this application I think is best.
No covers to remove etc.But a single would be nice.

I think I will submit a proposal to use tamper resistant GFCI receptacles every where and make it easy for everyone. No exception for GFCI breakers(lol)
Ob

Choose your customers, don't let them choose you.
Cat Servant
Funny ... sometimes I'm tempted to propose that we all return to the 1966 edition, without ammendments ....

Link Copied to Clipboard