ECN Forum
Posted By: Alan Nadon 422.52 NEW section - 12/27/07 04:42 PM
In the 2008 NEC there is a new section 422.52. It requires GFI protection for Fountains. Drinking Fountains.
I thought this was resolved several years ago when the definition of Fountain in Article 680 clearified that it did not apply to drinking fointains.
This was the result of some inspectors requiring GFI protection at Drinking Fountains . Unless people were wading in the fountain, GFI was considered unneeded. smile
Now they stick it in 422. One person reportedly died from a drinking fountain incident, because the ground prong was cut off the cord !
It is becoming an embarassment to enforce the Code with a straight face.
Posted By: ausador Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/27/07 09:55 PM
Not having the read the new article I am limited in my ability to comment upon it intelligently.

That being said however....what is wrong with requireing GFCI protection for drinking fountains? I have been at this a while and can remember three specific instances where I did calls that involved energized fountains. While no one died or was seriously harmed, in principle they could have been.

Sort of reminds me of the resturant kitchens I have been to where they warned you that the cooler/freezer would shock you if you touched it while grounded. Yet they continued to use them and only mentioned it as ancillary to the reason I was there on a call.

Chilled water drinking fountains contain both a compressor and a condensor, a condensate tray often with electric heat, and other sometimes electrically powered controls. They also are subject to vibration because of the compressor which could lead to cable wear and fatigue at terminals.

Once upon a time when all drinking fountains were connected rigidly to both a metallic supply and metallic drain both of which were grounded these concerns had no merit. Any fault within the appliance would constitute a ground fault sufficent to trip the branch circuit breaker. This is no longer true however.

You may continue to enforce the code with a straight face, drinking fountains are exactly the type of appliance that can benefit from GFCI protection.
Posted By: iwire Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/27/07 11:10 PM
I can't see this requirement as a bad thing.
Posted By: leland Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/28/07 12:39 AM
Thats fine. GFCI, within 6' of a sink. But nothing within 6" of your face?

I think it is over due.

Tamper resistant and AFCI.... I won't go there now.
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/28/07 02:15 AM
Alan:
I have to concur with all of the above. GFI protection cannot cause any 'problems', and the cost factor is negligable.

Now, how about one of the MFG coming out with a single receptacle GFI device? 15 & 20 amp...and make the $$ comparable with a faceless/deadfront OR a decent duplex GFI
Posted By: leland Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/28/07 02:29 AM
Breaker for this application I think is best.
No covers to remove etc.But a single would be nice.
Posted By: Obsaleet Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/30/07 02:41 PM
I think I will submit a proposal to use tamper resistant GFCI receptacles every where and make it easy for everyone. No exception for GFCI breakers(lol)
Ob
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 422.52 NEW section - 12/30/07 05:25 PM
Funny ... sometimes I'm tempted to propose that we all return to the 1966 edition, without ammendments ....
© ECN Electrical Forums