ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 366 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N

There was a time when you could actually specify THHN or THWN, but not anymore. All you will ever see today is a combo. Maybe what you saw was THHN from the 1960's?

Sunlight will do quite a job on anything. The outer nylon jacket cracks, exposing the underlying base color.

THHN in the 1960's????? From what I understand it was rolled out in the 70's .

E
Could be. My first exposure to it was in 1972.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."
S
We had worked with one of the cable manufacturers once for some specialty cable. The UV inhibitors they used in the thermoset jacket were all black, which was a large part of why most (all?) of the cables they sold had black outer jackets; the catch when requesting color-coded jackets was the cables lost their UV resistance.

C
Originally Posted by EV607797
They existed here, but not for long. No offense intended about the 100A services, probably due to lower heating loads in your parts. We do see them here, but rarely on a residence that's less than 40 years old.

It must be a regional thing. 100 amp services are extremely common in New England on homes of any time period, and are sill installed on a good percentage of small new homes with gas/oil heat.

Peter
P
100-amp services are the norm here for new homes, unless a larger supply is requested for some specific reason (2-wire with everything running on 240V, of course).

There are still plenty of older 60A services around, a few 40A, and even on odd 30A.

E
Peter:

Yeah, I suppose it is a regional thing. 200 amp is pretty much the norm around here for residential, but 300 & 400 are becoming quite common. There are plenty of 100's around here, but only on very old homes, as in 1950's or earlier.

Then again, about 50+% of the homes my in area use electric heat. I guess that would explain it.

---Ed---

P
A lot of homes around here have electric heat as well (I'm one of them), but still only with 100A supplies. Of course, our homes are smaller on average, with 1500 sq. ft. being considered spacious.

If I have all my storage heaters switched on, it throws a total load of about 14kW (~58 amps) on the service when the contactor closes around midnight.

E
The last two residential services I did here in coastal Southern CA. were overhead 100A.
And the only U/V protected/sunlight resistant stuff was Black TWHN. The other colors did not have the Listing. So, as Zapped said,
use Black, and white tape the neutral.

We upgraded my grandfather's house in 1991, black THWN, and it's still OK. (Again, coastal CA. - lots of 75° sunshine, little rain.)

This stuff was THW, remember THWN was a newfangled type. We (my shop) used TW or THW right up until '78 or '79.

The color was all the way through the conductor.

(I replaced it with Cu THWN, all black conductors, neut taped white)

E
Originally Posted by pauluk
A lot of homes around here have electric heat as well (I'm one of them), but still only with 100A supplies. Of course, our homes are smaller on average, with 1500 sq. ft. being considered spacious.

If I have all my storage heaters switched on, it throws a total load of about 14kW (~58 amps) on the service when the contactor closes around midnight.

Paul, please elaborate on the "contactor closing around midnight". Is that some kind of energy management program?

My house is about 3,000 SF, so my electrical requirement would be expected to be twice of yours, but we have a heat pump that does a pretty good job of keeping us warm. Resistance heating (backup) only kicks in when it gets below freezing here.

Talk about a hijack of an original thread. I have turned this thread into a completely different subject. Sorry!

Last edited by EV607797; 12/21/07 02:09 AM.

---Ed---

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard