ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#16989 11/19/02 10:06 PM
My volt-probe has probably saved my life. But, I don't entirely trust it. However, it and my strippers are the two tools I use the most, and the probe is the first tool to touch a box (and its innards) before I work on it.

I too, have used the "human wiggy" tecnique, but only on 120V or less, and after my volt-probe and common sense says it's off (after insuring that the probe works on a known live circuit). I figure it's better to get hit from finger to thumb (touching LIGHTLY is the key) than from hand to hand while stripping the conductor and with a good strong hold on it.

I've only had the probe give me false "offs" when the NM Cable is damp, false "ons" are more common due to "phantom" voltage and inductance.

I've never had my fingers give me a false "reading"!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#16990 11/19/02 11:29 PM
I carry a tic-tracer. It's OK for checking if a wire is on, but I certainly don't trust it to check if it's off.
I have a Fluke T-5 that lives with me , and also carry an old SqD Wiggy.
The high Z Fluke often shows a voltage when the circuit is off, due to capacitance in home runs, etc.
The solenoid wiggy still gives me the best on/off signal of all.

#16991 11/19/02 11:32 PM
W
This has also become one of my favorite tools along with my 7.2 volt dewalt screwdriver. I use mine on trouble-shooting and tracing loose neutral wires mostly. Saves undoing lots of splices in old buildings. I always confirm with a DMM when I think I have located the problem. I will second the damp false off with "66" though. Got bit pretty good one day kneeling in the wet grass. Since then if I have to touch it I use a back up.
Wirewiz

#16992 11/19/02 11:58 PM
S
Some one may have already said this, but before I intentionally become a "human wiggy", after I verify it with a tester or whatever, if there is any doubt, I'll short it out with my screwdriver and turn my head. Better to have a burnt screwdriver than a heart stopper [Linked Image]

#16993 11/20/02 01:10 AM
I do use one of the 'non-contact' voltage testers, but only on a circuit where there is no neutral or earth conductor.
Otherwise, I use a Duspol tester.
I also use a High Voltage tester with Hot stick (like HotLine was mentioning), for tracing Phase Outages on 11kV lines, this is
used on the end of an extendable fibreglass rod, so that it can be done from the ground.
[Linked Image]

#16994 11/20/02 01:27 AM
B
Like any other instrument, Alternating-Current non-contact voltage testers require experience to safety/effectively use. I feel they improve overall electrical safety, if not used "blindly." Clearly there are various grades and prices for the devices. The technology is used daily up to 765kV. Combination flashing-light/audible versions are desirable.

Not verifying on a known-live source immediately before and after proving a deenergized circuit can be suicide.

#16995 11/20/02 01:49 AM
Yep, to illustrate:

I got my driver's license back when the speed limit was 55mph. All throughout my young adult life, I always had a radar detector, and learned how to use it effectively. Instant-On Radar made detectors practically useless and the raise to 70mph (here) made them unneccesary.

I've since aquired a GPS Emap, which is a lot of fun and very useful, especially to the directionally challenged like myself. Once again, it required getting used to, learning what it could and could not do.

Computers are another example, but you all here know about them!

I guess what I'm saying is, the instrument is as only as good as the operator. You must know what it is capable of doing and not doing. Sometimes, one has to learn by trial and error, which could be deadly when it comes to testers!

But none of them are fool-proof.

About the human-wiggy: FYI only, DONT TRY THIS AT HOME!

When I was first showed the tecnique, I thought my mentor was nuts! But with one hand, checking first to make sure you're isolated from any ground or other source, lightly touch the metal box, neutral, or ground wire with your thumb, and lightly tap the suspected hot wire with the tip of your index finger on the same hand. Touch nothing or no one else. Keep the other fingers tucked and touch with the tip, not the pad. Less likely to get locked in that way.

I only do this as a final test on what would otherwise be considered a dead circuit (by probing and metering). If I'm gonna have to touch it anyway, I touch it this way first.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 11-20-2002).]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#16996 11/20/02 10:36 AM
L
Hey sparky66, how do you know you never got a false reading with your finger wiggy? :-)

#16997 11/20/02 12:54 PM
Ummmm... Hmmmm... Good Point!

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
#16998 11/20/02 04:38 PM
P
I can see that these devices have their uses, but I've never been that keen on them myself and don't use them. I prefer to apply a regular meter -- Tested on a known energized circuit first!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard