ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
what is the dominican home depot phone #

I reckon it might be more useful to have the fire department number memorized: (767) 448-2222. Or 999 under the British influence! grin

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

M
According to some of the people that I talked to in Dominica, the government hired consultants to evaluate their system and make recommendations. As it is right now, 90% of their power is from hydroelectric generating stations up in the mountains. The average cost for electricity in Dominca, per month is $80-$100 EC, per month. $1.00 US is equal to $2.60 EC. These are residences that are approximately 800 sq. ft. and have no A/C in the majority of the cases. Of course, there is no insulation or anything that would equate to energy conservation. The only thing conservation wise that occurred was when the Cuban consultants recommened that they start using fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescents in their homes. According to the peron I was talking to, the government bought lots of these and passed them out.

They did say that the new Prime Minister is attempting to bring them into the 21st century. The comment was made that the old Prime Minister, as well as his predecessor were as corrupt as corrupt could be.

C
Come on now, you're not being fair!
It looks like whomever is responsible for the the work in the second photo was at least trying to bring a workman like manner into the world he lives in. smile

T
The open taps are bad, but not as bad as they appear - the screws visible in the picture are actually isolated from the wire. I found similar taps in a meter cabinet in Austria (standard lock, keys available in every hardware store) and was pretty shocked, so I held my voltage tester to the screws and got 0V.

Anyway, that's what you'd call "Russian" here wink

Interesting stuff,
Is that what looks like an electrical cabinet key hanging on the wall in pic #6?
In pic #8, I don't really like how them overhead wires are hard up against that corrugated iron roof sheet either, that's just asking for trouble.
Nice pics, always good to see how things are done in other countries around the world.

H
YIKES! Please tell me that xformer is not medium voltage on the primary..... shocked

S
Any more photos of actual house wiring and devices in a typical house in Dominica?

G
The only thing conservation wise that occurred was when the Cuban consultants recommened that they start using fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescents in their homes. According to the person I was talking to, the government bought lots of these and passed them out.

How important is energy conservation if its a hydro electric supply anyway?

Last edited by electure; 10/02/07 05:37 PM. Reason: edit UBB code
B
Obviously there are no trial lawers over there!!!

S
I must have missed this one. Utterley Speechless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard