ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Dominica Electric Photos - 07/27/07 07:16 PM
I just returned from a week long diving trip to Dominica, which is an island in the Caribbean. Attached are some photos of electrical distribution in Roseau, which is the capital city of the island.

- mil28094

Wooden J Box:

[Linked Image]

Inverted Meter and CT In Plumbing Pipe:

[Linked Image]

Inverted Meter Enclosure:

[Linked Image]

Multiple Meters:

[Linked Image]

Open Taps At Inverted Meter:

[Linked Image]

Open Transformer In A Home:

[Linked Image]

Pole Mounted Meters:

[Linked Image]

Service Drop 4 Ft Above Sidewalk:

[Linked Image]

Single Meter:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Radar Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/27/07 09:21 PM
Leaves me speachless - saying this is appalling would be a compliment.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/27/07 09:58 PM
Wow.....even the worst stuff here is better than that! Way better.

It appears to be a very bizarre mix of American and British equipment. And I highly doubt any type of standard is remotely followed.
Posted By: wire_twister Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/28/07 12:07 AM
what a wreck!! I would choose a new profession if I had to work on some of that stuff.
Posted By: KJ Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/28/07 04:31 AM
looks as if they spend more time and money to do it wrong, then if they just adapted a standard and did it sort of right.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/28/07 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by CTwireman
It appears to be a very bizarre mix of American and British equipment.

Exactly my impression! American enclosures, British color coding, and a little local variation thrown in for good measure.

Remember that those open taps are 230V-ish to ground, 400V between phases.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/29/07 03:40 PM
Take a look at the second picture: All the CT cables are carefully formed, the CTs are evenly spaced, the service conductors are neatly arranged. It almost seems like this work was done by someone who was at least trying to take pride in their work, but they'd only been trained to the crippling standard of quality we see in the rest of these photos.

-John
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/29/07 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by pauluk

Exactly my impression! American enclosures, British color coding, and a little local variation thrown in for good measure.

Yeah, it must be the colonial influence plus the proximity to the US which results in such a weird system. I'm always amazed by 2nd and 3rd world wiring systems and how we take what we have for granted when it's so much worse elsewhere!
Posted By: EV607797 Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/29/07 09:40 PM
Wow! That's even worse than some of the stuff that I have seen in Mexico. I know that utility companies are exempt from following the NEC here, but I think that their standards are actually higher than what might be required by the code.

That "standard" being used in the photos is nothing short of frightening.
Posted By: KJ Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/30/07 05:08 AM
what is the dominican home depot phone #,
i need to clean the shop out back somehow.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/30/07 01:41 PM
what is the dominican home depot phone #

I reckon it might be more useful to have the fire department number memorized: (767) 448-2222. Or 999 under the British influence! grin

Posted By: mil28094 Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/30/07 02:35 PM
According to some of the people that I talked to in Dominica, the government hired consultants to evaluate their system and make recommendations. As it is right now, 90% of their power is from hydroelectric generating stations up in the mountains. The average cost for electricity in Dominca, per month is $80-$100 EC, per month. $1.00 US is equal to $2.60 EC. These are residences that are approximately 800 sq. ft. and have no A/C in the majority of the cases. Of course, there is no insulation or anything that would equate to energy conservation. The only thing conservation wise that occurred was when the Cuban consultants recommened that they start using fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescents in their homes. According to the peron I was talking to, the government bought lots of these and passed them out.

They did say that the new Prime Minister is attempting to bring them into the 21st century. The comment was made that the old Prime Minister, as well as his predecessor were as corrupt as corrupt could be.
Posted By: ChicoC10 Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/30/07 09:21 PM
Come on now, you're not being fair!
It looks like whomever is responsible for the the work in the second photo was at least trying to bring a workman like manner into the world he lives in. smile
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/31/07 12:59 PM
The open taps are bad, but not as bad as they appear - the screws visible in the picture are actually isolated from the wire. I found similar taps in a meter cabinet in Austria (standard lock, keys available in every hardware store) and was pretty shocked, so I held my voltage tester to the screws and got 0V.

Anyway, that's what you'd call "Russian" here wink
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 07/31/07 11:12 PM
Interesting stuff,
Is that what looks like an electrical cabinet key hanging on the wall in pic #6?
In pic #8, I don't really like how them overhead wires are hard up against that corrugated iron roof sheet either, that's just asking for trouble.
Nice pics, always good to see how things are done in other countries around the world.
Posted By: hardwareguy Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 08/17/07 05:37 AM
YIKES! Please tell me that xformer is not medium voltage on the primary..... shocked
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 10/02/07 05:20 PM
Any more photos of actual house wiring and devices in a typical house in Dominica?
Posted By: geoff in UK Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 10/02/07 06:23 PM
The only thing conservation wise that occurred was when the Cuban consultants recommened that they start using fluorescent bulbs instead of incandescents in their homes. According to the person I was talking to, the government bought lots of these and passed them out.

How important is energy conservation if its a hydro electric supply anyway?
Posted By: BElder Re: Dominica Electric Photos - 10/03/07 06:28 PM
Obviously there are no trial lawers over there!!!
I must have missed this one. Utterley Speechless.
© ECN Electrical Forums