ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
e57 #163061 04/30/07 01:57 AM
G
We had a thread a while ago about our computer desk. This one has 3 power strips and one has a couple cube taps in it, just for all the wall warts and other stuff to support 3 PCs (routers, switches etc). It all runs on a 400 watt UPS so I am not overloading the circuit but it ain't pretty.

Greg Fretwell
A
Queen bed, my side:
Bedside lamp
Phone charger
Baby monitor
Electric blanket
Laptop power supply

The other (his) side:
Clock radio
Bedside lamp
PDA charger
Indoor / outdoor weather station thingy
Phone charger
Some other charger (who knows what it does)

We each have a 6 gang outlet that plugs into a outlet on either side of the bed

N
My bedroom is more of a home theater, so it got completely rewired about a year ago. I have a fan, a lamp, a clock radio, and a phone charger on my nightstand. They are all plugged into one of those Tripp-lite Isobar units.

When I rewired the room, I put "quads" everywhere. I used different colored outlets. The ivory ones are always on, and, the brown ones are all controlled by a lightswitch on the wall. I also have a 30amp 240volt twist lock for my sound system.

C
Originally Posted by napervillesoundtech
My bedroom is more of a home theater, so it got completely rewired about a year ago. I have a fan, a lamp, a clock radio, and a phone charger on my nightstand. They are all plugged into one of those Tripp-lite Isobar units.

When I rewired the room, I put "quads" everywhere. I used different colored outlets. The ivory ones are always on, and, the brown ones are all controlled by a lightswitch on the wall. I also have a 30amp 240volt twist lock for my sound system.
Why 240 Volt? most Home theater gear is 120 volt

Theres always enough room in the junction box.You just need a bigger hammer
P
There was a time here when a "minimum build" house got one single receptacle per bedroom.

Cat Servant
Paul, as far as I can recall, our bedrooms required that no space along the wall be more than six feet from a receptacle.

Since most bedrooms are fairly close to 12' x 12' (give or take a few feet), this often resulted in a 'minimal' bedroom having the receptacles placed near the middle of the walls ... where furniture would likely block them frown

So, when I do a bedroom, I start by planning a receptacle on either side of the bed ... which means that these two receptacles are a lot closer than the maximum spacing allowed by our code ... and take the spacing from there.

T
Originally Posted by gfretwell
We had a thread a while ago about our computer desk. This one has 3 power strips and one has a couple cube taps in it, just for all the wall warts and other stuff to support 3 PCs (routers, switches etc). It all runs on a 400 watt UPS so I am not overloading the circuit but it ain't pretty.

I should post some pictures of my desk, especially the underside/backside.

It currently has 2 10 outlet power strips mounted to the back of the cross brace, one each for UPS and non-UPS power. I'm about to add another power strip.
These are all the metal type made by Belkin or Waber, using real duplex outlets. The 10 outlet models look like a 5 gang outlet box, and will handle at least 6 wall warts without blocking adjacent outlets. With small wall warts, I have been able to comfortably fit 10 on the strip. I normally place wall warts in the odd slots, and cords in the even slots. No cube taps, or wall warts on silly 8" cords allowed here.

The main workstation is a triple-headed unix box. with two (soon to be three) KVM switches (one per monitor). The desk supports 3-6 PC's, depending on what I am working on at the moment.

The UPS (1.4 KVA) is located in the server rack in the closet across the room. The cable from the UPS to the desk is just under 20', with half of that being the 10' cable on the power strip. It is routed, along with other cables, along the baseboard behind the workbench, and under the wire shelving.

The UPS powers the following:
In the server rack:
ER1. NFS server (p3/800 freebsd)
ER2. voip server (k6/350 centos/asterisk)
ER3. spare server (cel/500 freebsd)
ER4.
ER5. feed to desk
ER6. power strip for DSL/switch/AP

ER6.1. DSL bridge (wall wart)
ER6.2. ethernet switch (10/100/1000) (wall wart)
ER6.3. Wireless access point (via POE) (wall wart)
ER6.4. firewall/router (p/133 freebsd)

at desk:
ED1. KVM #1 (wall wart)
ED2. KVM #2 (wall wart)
ED3. workstation #1 (p4/1700 freebsd)
ED4. workstation #2 (p3/866 freebsd/netbsd/XP)
ED5. Ethernet switch (10/100) (wall wart)
ED6. 17" monitor #1
ED7. workstation #3 (p4/2000 freebsd)
ED8. DVR (cel/1000 knoppix/mythtv)
ED9. 17" monitor #2
ED10. 17" monitor #3

ED11. KVM #3 (future) (wall wart)

Non-UPS power at the desk:
D1. radio charger #1 (wall wart)
D2. radio charger #2 (wall wart)
D3. stereo (small Teac, built-in CD player/tuner, aux/tape/md in/out for Dish/PC/DVR)
D4. radio charger #3
D5. Palm charger (wall wart)
D6. radio scanner power supply (wall wart)
D7. radio power supply
D8. feed to tv/vcr/Dish/printer
D9.
D10.

D8.1. Dish receiver
D8.2. VCR
D8.3. TV (13")
D8.4. printer/scanner/copier

#'s D8.1-D8.4 are on a 6 outlet strip mounted to the shelf which they sit on, which straddles the windowsills in the corner.

I will also need another strip for UPS power pretty soon..

Also on/at desk, but plugged directly to wall.
radio charger #4
hanging desk light (inline switch cord run to front edge of desk)

S
These have been interesting replies so far! I suspected that most folks have considerably more than two things plugged in at the bedside, or even two things on each side. I'm seeing that, indeed, most people have far more than that.

Just eyeballing the answers so far, I'd say that around six items on each side of the bed is pretty typical. So even a two-gang isn't really sufficient. It sounds like a three- or four-gang, or equivalent, on each side of the bed is really about what is needed to take care of the typical couple.

e57 #163242 05/04/07 06:48 PM
R
Hahah thats the thing with well any trade.. We KNOW what can slide and what cannot.. Hey, back in the days when this house had fuses, I will admit I have plunked a larger fuse in just to get the circuit livened up again, knowing it would be only for a short time ( until I found spares), and also knowing that whoever wiped out the fuse would NOT do whatever they did to overload the circuit again.. Would I do that in someone elses house? NEVER because you know as soon as you leave to get them spares if you did not have any on the truck or whatever, they would overload the circuit again regardless of what you tell them NOT to do.

A.D

G
I don't know about you guys, but I wouldn't get out of bed if I didn't put the alarm clock across the room, away from the headboard.

And with the way my wife rearranges furniture, there's no way I'm installing more than a single-gang box for receptacles in any house I own, unless there's a fixed purpose for my toys. smile

-George
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard