ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#161987 04/11/07 11:15 AM
R
Rabbit Offline OP
Please forgive me if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it. We are re-wiring an old house, not our niche, and the owner will have Dish Network sattelite system. I am planning on 1 RG6 to a central point. Am I on the right track?

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

some dish systems will take 2 rg6,s some systems have dual tuners so a person can watch TV in another room with a second remote control , i would run 2 rg6s to at least the living room and if there was a basement location for a big screen i would run 2 to there also.keep in mind a telco jack at these locations is also needed for pay per view programming.The new dish systems can stack signals onto one rg6. hope this helps.

R
Rabbit Offline OP
You bet that helps. I will run 2 RG6 and a CAT 5 to EACH location. Thanks!!!

B
And run the RG6 through a grounding block!

T
I would run at least 4 quad-shield RG6.
- 2 for dish (dual tuner)
- 1 for antenna
- 1 for in-house distribution to other rooms.

I would also run at least 3 cat5.
- 1 for phone
- 1 for data (think media PC)
- 1 for IR extender (some of the dish remotes are RF, some are IR.)

G
There is a very good chance that all "TV" will be coming down your CAT 5 some day soon so all this coax may be obsolete. Right now I agree we are stringing quad shield but I wouldn't over do it.

Greg Fretwell
T
The question was specific to Dish Network.

Current dual tuner DVR units from Dish require 1 RG6 for each receiver, plus one for antenna if desired. The feed to the second tv is either another RG6, or composite video+stereo audio.

That's a minimum of 2 RG6, and 1 cat5, and 1 cat3, assuming that you are feeding the second TV with composite video+stereo audio, or 3 RG6 and 1 cat3 if you are distributing via RF. Add a 4th RG6 if you want the off-air antenna.

You could probably combine antenna and distribution if you are doing a whole-house distribution system.

T
i work hand in hand with an AV company, as of right now they prewire a structured [2Cat5/2RG6] to any TV location and 8 [yes I said eight] RG6 to a penetration point for satellite TV, right now Direct TV uses 5 for complete spead of channels. I know you said Dish Network, but Direct TV is what I'm familiar with.

M
With Dish/DirecTV the diplexer can go just about anywhere but put it close enough to your cable runs. I ran a DTV setup, was a unique situation but was a easy solution to the cable issues they were having. The more rooms the more signal loss but the average quad diplexer should be fine but a commercial diplexer will also work for up to 12-16 ports, as I said more runs more signal loss is great for apartments or hotels.

JNS Contracting Plc
"We do it right so you wont have to"

Link Copied to Clipboard