ECN Forum
Posted By: Rabbit Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/11/07 03:15 PM
Please forgive me if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it. We are re-wiring an old house, not our niche, and the owner will have Dish Network sattelite system. I am planning on 1 RG6 to a central point. Am I on the right track?
Posted By: dougwells Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/11/07 03:48 PM
some dish systems will take 2 rg6,s some systems have dual tuners so a person can watch TV in another room with a second remote control , i would run 2 rg6s to at least the living room and if there was a basement location for a big screen i would run 2 to there also.keep in mind a telco jack at these locations is also needed for pay per view programming.The new dish systems can stack signals onto one rg6. hope this helps.
Posted By: Rabbit Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/11/07 06:54 PM
You bet that helps. I will run 2 RG6 and a CAT 5 to EACH location. Thanks!!!
Posted By: BuildingHomes Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/12/07 04:24 AM
And run the RG6 through a grounding block!
Posted By: techie Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/12/07 10:51 AM
I would run at least 4 quad-shield RG6.
- 2 for dish (dual tuner)
- 1 for antenna
- 1 for in-house distribution to other rooms.

I would also run at least 3 cat5.
- 1 for phone
- 1 for data (think media PC)
- 1 for IR extender (some of the dish remotes are RF, some are IR.)
Posted By: gfretwell Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/12/07 04:49 PM
There is a very good chance that all "TV" will be coming down your CAT 5 some day soon so all this coax may be obsolete. Right now I agree we are stringing quad shield but I wouldn't over do it.
Posted By: techie Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/13/07 06:54 AM
The question was specific to Dish Network.

Current dual tuner DVR units from Dish require 1 RG6 for each receiver, plus one for antenna if desired. The feed to the second tv is either another RG6, or composite video+stereo audio.

That's a minimum of 2 RG6, and 1 cat5, and 1 cat3, assuming that you are feeding the second TV with composite video+stereo audio, or 3 RG6 and 1 cat3 if you are distributing via RF. Add a 4th RG6 if you want the off-air antenna.

You could probably combine antenna and distribution if you are doing a whole-house distribution system.
Posted By: Tom H Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 04/16/07 11:21 PM
i work hand in hand with an AV company, as of right now they prewire a structured [2Cat5/2RG6] to any TV location and 8 [yes I said eight] RG6 to a penetration point for satellite TV, right now Direct TV uses 5 for complete spead of channels. I know you said Dish Network, but Direct TV is what I'm familiar with.
Posted By: mrtoolbelt0601 Re: Sattelite TV Rough-in - 05/27/07 10:54 PM
With Dish/DirecTV the diplexer can go just about anywhere but put it close enough to your cable runs. I ran a DTV setup, was a unique situation but was a easy solution to the cable issues they were having. The more rooms the more signal loss but the average quad diplexer should be fine but a commercial diplexer will also work for up to 12-16 ports, as I said more runs more signal loss is great for apartments or hotels.
© ECN Electrical Forums