ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
Shout Box
Recent Posts
Baseboard Mounted Light Bulb Socket
by SPSchuman. 07/15/19 03:22 PM
Hunter Fan Recalls Brunswick 3 & 4 Light Fans
by Admin. 07/11/19 11:08 AM
Honeywell Recalls some Smoke Sensors
by Admin. 07/11/19 11:03 AM
New in the Gallery:
What is this for?
Plug terminals
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 15 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Leaking Vault #119627
01/10/05 10:38 PM
01/10/05 10:38 PM
electure  Offline
Joined: Dec 2000
Posts: 4,280
Fullerton, CA USA
Wait a minute.......Isn't the water supposed to come out of the yellow thing?

[Linked Image]

Tools for Electricians:
Re: Leaking Vault #119628
01/11/05 02:40 AM
01/11/05 02:40 AM
Big Jim  Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 394
Denver, CO USA
I would say it is definitly not OK

Re: Leaking Vault #119629
01/11/05 03:16 AM
01/11/05 03:16 AM
mxslick  Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 803
Atomic City, ID USA
Actually that IS O.K., it means the sump pump in the vault is working....

Stupid should be painful.
Re: Leaking Vault #119630
01/11/05 11:28 AM
01/11/05 11:28 AM
SvenNYC  Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,691
New York City
Off topic. That's a strange looking fire-plug. What city is this?

Re: Leaking Vault #119631
01/11/05 11:59 PM
01/11/05 11:59 PM
Sir Arcsalot  Offline
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 127
Lynden, Washington
As to the fireplug, it looks normal to me... Appears to be a Rensselaer.

The "non-freeze-resistant" types (the official name escapes me) do look quite different, at least to me- saw them when I was in San Diego a few years back...

Edited for clarification (hopefully!)

[This message has been edited by Sir Arcsalot (edited 01-11-2005).]

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.
Re: Leaking Vault #119632
01/12/05 06:54 AM
01/12/05 06:54 AM
Trumpy  Offline

Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,261
SI,New Zealand
Looks like there might be some sort of a gearing mechanism in the top of that Hydrant, judging by the shape of the top part.
Possibly, this could be to turn it on quicker than a direct drive spindle.
Could one of the FF's here please explain why there are two sizes of couplings on that Hydrant?.
The larger one looks like a standard Feeder size, what is the smaller one for?.

{Message edited to add last question} [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-12-2005).]

Re: Leaking Vault #119633
01/12/05 11:37 AM
01/12/05 11:37 AM
pauluk  Offline
Joined: Aug 2001
Posts: 7,520
Norfolk, England
You're lucky you can see the fittings to ask questions. All the fire hydrants in Britain are located under the pavement, accessed by lifting a cover plate. There is then a yellow marker sign at the side of the road to show locations.

The following link is aimed at kids, but it demonstrates the method quite effectively:

(The firemen among you might find the pages about the London Fire Brigade of interest.)

Re: Leaking Vault #119634
01/12/05 04:02 PM
01/12/05 04:02 PM
denny3992  Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 53
orwigsburg,pa USA
The 2 types of connections are refered to as steamer and 2 1/2 most places use the steamer, usually 5" connection because of ease of use, amount of flow and less friction loss (resistance) as for the type of hydrant it might be a dry type which means there is a stem from the top of the hydrant down to the H20 main as to prevent freezing. in warmer places the use a hydrant like you see in the movies and this picture when someone runs it over the water shoots out... there is water up to street level.

Hope i covered it

Thanks Denny

Re: Leaking Vault #119635
01/12/05 04:53 PM
01/12/05 04:53 PM
sparked  Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 114
Memory Archive Time:

A few years back, I saw in the Washington Post (I think) about a large fire that had occured in the early days of hydrants and such. I believe the fire was in Baltimore. Anyway, they called in several firefighters from the nearby ares. It took several hours for them to get to the city in horse-drawn wagons, etc. They arrived greeeted by the displaced residents cheering them on. They tried to connect to the hydrants, but each had is own standard of hydrant thread (The Baltimore hydrants had only one size, rendering the new help useless.)

Later they came up with the new hydrants. (ie multiple sizes).

Hope this helps somebody,

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 01-12-2005).]

Re: Leaking Vault #119636
01/12/05 08:01 PM
01/12/05 08:01 PM
codeenforcementguy  Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 29
Yuma, Arizona USA
I think they call that a "dry barrel" hydrant, common in very cold places > also common in the desert for some reason ????

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3


2017 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2017 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman


Member Spotlight
Attic Rat
Attic Rat
Bergen Co.,N.J. USA
Posts: 524
Joined: December 2003
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Admin 5
Popular Topics(Views)
257,104 Are you busy
192,935 Re: Forum
182,593 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1
(Release build 20180101)
Page Time: 0.022s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 1.0265 MB (Peak: 1.2045 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2019-07-19 08:27:57 UTC