ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Ok, here goes. We install well over a hundred GE panels a year so I'll give you the run down on whats wrong IMO.

The neutrals on sub panel 1 are double lugged in a lug not rated for more than one conductor. Same goes for the grounding buss

The MBJs in the panels must be removed when used as a sub panel. The bar pops out by removing the two bolts at the bottom of the busses. Once that is done the bonding screw remains on the left bus to bond the can.

As for the 1/2" breakers, matter of choice for the contractor. Personally I dont care for them but these smaller panels are rated for them.

The outdoor service is using a TM820RCUFL as a main disconnect which has a main and 8 breaker slots in it and feed thru lugs (aka Trailer Panel). I would like to see the inside of that panel too. Its probably not installed properly either.

The mast is secured by one hole straps into what looks to be asbestos siding. Most likely it's not so structurally sound. Perhaps a guy wire for support might be a good idea.

Finally, Romex is a no no in any church in our state. Even if it they only have preacher and one member. MC, EMT and rigid is required by the state fire marshall.

C
Norcal
I will attempt to get an informed opinion (unless you know something I don't)
But Article 225.22 requires raceways on the exterior buildings to be raintight, I do not believe a offset nipple is. Also 312.2 A requires enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof. Admittedly I do not have an official interpretation, but my experience is that a installation such as depicted in the photo would render the meter and adjacent enclosure void of a weather proof listing. Of course it’s my opinion.
I've recently recived an opinion from some one I hold high regard for, and a further reference to section 314.15 (A) is in order
"Boxes, conduit bodies, and FITTINGS installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations."

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 08-06-2004).]

N
I have to respectfully disagree. The code requires that enclosures installed in damp or wet locations be equipped to prevent water from entering and accumulating in the enclosure. Any thing out the top I agree would need a hub OR sealing locknut, not out the side or bottom if installed properly. Also, there could be a sealing locknut on the offset nipple in the picture as some do install for extra measures.

Kenny Wilee
D
I would also like to see above the subpanels. Probably violates 312.5(c) by putting the NM cable in the raceway.

V
arseegee

I have been told by more than one inspector not to remove the MBJ bar at the bottom of panels. Something about altering equipment. They have always made us add an auxilary ground bar

C
regarding the offset nipple

I understand the conflict amongst those responding to this string and I have discussed this with several enforcing individuals in my area ( different opinions again)

But read 314.15 (A) carefully if the side of the enclosure is by definition (Article 100) a wet location then that section (314.15 A)requires the fitting to be listed for a wet location.

charlie

Z
My primary concern is also the secondary bonding. A very elementry mistake that is not only dangerous, but is a red flag for the rest of the installation.

Also something that nobody mentioned: that schedule 40 PVC that far above grade would not pass inspection here (Southern Cali) from my experience.

I think every one else has nailed everything else I see.

Surprised it ever got hooked up.

P
The offset fitting between the panel and the meterpan is permitted to be installed on the side of the enclosures without a meyers hub if the installation is below the electrical connections in the enclosure.
The MBJ (green screw) is listed to be removed if the panel is not service equipment, so are the screws/bonding bar between the two busses. So you would not be required to add additional grounding bars in the enclosures.

Unless the AHJ says so, the entire church is not a place of public assembly, just the areas that can hold 100 or more persons. An example of part of the building that may not be considered a place of public assembly would be the basement, and storage areas.
If local ordinances are more strict, than those would have to be followed.

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
J
If the preacher really BELIEVES, ask him why he needs a lightening rod!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard