ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 01:48 AM
Here are some photos of 3 panels that are being installed at a nearby church. I would like some comments on the work to tell the members what is wrong with the installation of them.

- Barry
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: electricman2 Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 02:10 AM
From here it looks like the bond screw is installed in both subpanels. Also in panel 2 neutral conductors and ECGs mixed. Neutral and equipment ground bars bonded together. See 250.24(A)(5).
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 03:17 AM
Looks like the left-hand conduit on Panel 2 has more than 6 current-carrying conductors. I bet they aren't de-rated.

Also, those twin breakers look awfully cheap. Not to mention that the whole panel could be of better quality. I looked around my church recently, and they've got mostly CH stuff--a PRL1a and a PRL3a, and a few that I think are CH's that I didn't check out. A church is a place of assembly; I don't know if the cheapo stuff is code for a place of assembly, but I sure wouldn't want it there.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 08-04-2004).]
Posted By: e57 Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 04:36 AM
PVC in "a place of assembly", thats a no. Romex in pic #3!
"Article 518 applies to places of assembly designed or intended for 100 or more persons. Article 518 would apply, for example, to a church chapel or auditorium for occupancy of 100 or more persons, its capacity determined by the methods for occupancy population capacity in accordance with NFPA 101, Life Safety Code."

Double lug neutral in panel 1.

Ground and Neutral mixing at various locations.

Bonding in various locations.

Phase idendification is a minor one.

As for GE, it's not "cheap", but twinning them out, that's cheap.

The maluable off-set, now that's cheap. On a main, I wouldn't do it. Not sure if its kosher for protection of service conductors.
Posted By: Big Jim Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 06:27 AM
Looks like it could be a smaller building, might not hold a hundred people. To me, the neutral/ground/bonding are big problems. I guess God must be on the side of churches because it is a miracle most of them don't burn down or hurt people.
Posted By: Megawatt Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 09:52 AM
When the service drop is deadended on the riser, through bolt straps should be used for support. Looks like some one hole straps is all that's used here.
Around here, the POCO wouldn't have gotten the ladder off the truck .....even if the Inspection passed.
Posted By: chi spark Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 12:26 PM
In subpanel 1, those GC's are close to the phase lug. Not so bad in subpanel 2 but wouldn't be bad to run the GC's on the outboard side of the bus and cabinet.
Posted By: necbuff Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 02:28 PM
As for PVC in a place of assembly, It is now permissible in some locations if the proper conditions apply... 518.4 (C)
Posted By: cpal Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/05/04 10:20 PM
I'd question the offset nipple with out myers-hubs, I don't think you can get a seal locknut between the shoulder and the enclosures????

How did the NM get in the conduit with the feeder conductors to the second panel

The tie in panel 2 between the neutral and EG Buss??? The green screw on the left looks ok

on the outside I don't see a guy on the mast, the PVC needs an expansion joint between the enclosure and the LB, the clips are not rated for expansion
The feeder neutral in the main panel should be under a seperate lug ala 408.21

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 08-05-2004).]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/06/04 12:20 AM
Why would you need a myers hub on the offset nipple? It is below live parts
Posted By: arseegee Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/06/04 01:30 AM
Ok, here goes. We install well over a hundred GE panels a year so I'll give you the run down on whats wrong IMO.

The neutrals on sub panel 1 are double lugged in a lug not rated for more than one conductor. Same goes for the grounding buss

The MBJs in the panels must be removed when used as a sub panel. The bar pops out by removing the two bolts at the bottom of the busses. Once that is done the bonding screw remains on the left bus to bond the can.

As for the 1/2" breakers, matter of choice for the contractor. Personally I dont care for them but these smaller panels are rated for them.

The outdoor service is using a TM820RCUFL as a main disconnect which has a main and 8 breaker slots in it and feed thru lugs (aka Trailer Panel). I would like to see the inside of that panel too. Its probably not installed properly either.

The mast is secured by one hole straps into what looks to be asbestos siding. Most likely it's not so structurally sound. Perhaps a guy wire for support might be a good idea.

Finally, Romex is a no no in any church in our state. Even if it they only have preacher and one member. MC, EMT and rigid is required by the state fire marshall.
Posted By: cpal Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/06/04 12:08 PM
Norcal
I will attempt to get an informed opinion (unless you know something I don't)
But Article 225.22 requires raceways on the exterior buildings to be raintight, I do not believe a offset nipple is. Also 312.2 A requires enclosures installed in wet locations shall be weatherproof. Admittedly I do not have an official interpretation, but my experience is that a installation such as depicted in the photo would render the meter and adjacent enclosure void of a weather proof listing. Of course it’s my opinion.
I've recently recived an opinion from some one I hold high regard for, and a further reference to section 314.15 (A) is in order
"Boxes, conduit bodies, and FITTINGS installed in wet locations shall be listed for use in wet locations."

[This message has been edited by cpal (edited 08-06-2004).]
Posted By: necbuff Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/06/04 10:55 PM
I have to respectfully disagree. The code requires that enclosures installed in damp or wet locations be equipped to prevent water from entering and accumulating in the enclosure. Any thing out the top I agree would need a hub OR sealing locknut, not out the side or bottom if installed properly. Also, there could be a sealing locknut on the offset nipple in the picture as some do install for extra measures.
Posted By: dansan Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/06/04 11:59 PM
I would also like to see above the subpanels. Probably violates 312.5(c) by putting the NM cable in the raceway.
Posted By: velect Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/07/04 07:54 AM
arseegee

I have been told by more than one inspector not to remove the MBJ bar at the bottom of panels. Something about altering equipment. They have always made us add an auxilary ground bar
Posted By: cpal Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/07/04 11:25 AM
regarding the offset nipple

I understand the conflict amongst those responding to this string and I have discussed this with several enforcing individuals in my area ( different opinions again)

But read 314.15 (A) carefully if the side of the enclosure is by definition (Article 100) a wet location then that section (314.15 A)requires the fitting to be listed for a wet location.

charlie
Posted By: Zapped Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/11/04 12:55 AM
My primary concern is also the secondary bonding. A very elementry mistake that is not only dangerous, but is a red flag for the rest of the installation.

Also something that nobody mentioned: that schedule 40 PVC that far above grade would not pass inspection here (Southern Cali) from my experience.

I think every one else has nailed everything else I see.

Surprised it ever got hooked up.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/13/04 10:12 AM
The offset fitting between the panel and the meterpan is permitted to be installed on the side of the enclosures without a meyers hub if the installation is below the electrical connections in the enclosure.
The MBJ (green screw) is listed to be removed if the panel is not service equipment, so are the screws/bonding bar between the two busses. So you would not be required to add additional grounding bars in the enclosures.

Unless the AHJ says so, the entire church is not a place of public assembly, just the areas that can hold 100 or more persons. An example of part of the building that may not be considered a place of public assembly would be the basement, and storage areas.
If local ordinances are more strict, than those would have to be followed.

Pierre
Posted By: John Steinke Re: New Service & Sub-Panels - 08/15/04 05:06 AM
If the preacher really BELIEVES, ask him why he needs a lightening rod!
© ECN Electrical Forums