ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
I suppose that if this lot fails, the next project gets solid lumps of 1/4" steel armor plating over the cables! [Linked Image]

Now just tell the "knuckledgraggers" that all those plates are energized. Maybe that keep 'em away! [Linked Image]

Z
Grab an air powered nibbler and start chopping some sheet metal to cover these things [Linked Image]

G
Gwz Offline
Picture with non-metallic box on floor plate;

see 334.30(A) FPN
see 314.17(C).

Other pictures, is it possible that holes were drilled through the stair stringers and the 1900 cover plates are just wood stiffiners?

S
The boxes secure the cable Glenn, and i usually take advantage of the 12" offered.
(note pix#1 you can see internal clamps)

note the stacker usage on the single box mentioned in #2 & #5

I believe viking? lists for 2 'flat' cables under a staple, but the gist here is to get the wire away from the wood

I also use a about a dz bags of stackers per residence, all 2x4 walls get 'em.
The 1900's are actually cover wires 1 1/4" in due to them, yet if they want a banister, they're gonna have to use the hilti to get 'em.

You see, i don't have the advantage of an inspector for single fam dwellings here to berate the rockers.

One job, i placed a sign over the (in wall) panel "1000 VOLTS LIVE!" , one of the SR crew (sitting in his truck trying to hide the joint he was smokin' btw) said...

"Hey, you gonna shut that panel down so's we can rock it"

to which i replied
"Sorry, it's running the water pump for the mudders"

So you see, I do what i gotta do to survive here as an EC......

G
Gwz Offline
The box on the floor plate is a single gang box.

See the Exception to 314.17(C) "- - - fastened within 8 inches of the box measured along the sheath - - -"

E
Glenn,

The way I read the sections you are citing, if a non metallic box has built in clamps, I fasten within 12" down the sheath, but, if the non metallic box does not have built in clamps (or some other cable clamping means), then I fasten within 8" down the sheath.

Al

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 07-23-2003).]

Al Hildenbrand
G
Gwz Offline
It has been a long time since I've seen single gang nonmetallic boxes with clamps used on the sites. Not saying there isn't any, but just economics I guess.

E
Glenn,

Thanks for raising the point about 314.17(C). This got me to look up the catalog for the box that, to my eye, is shown in Sparky's photo's above. I believe he shows [b][i]Pass & Seymour Slater boxes[/i][/b]

I've been using this line of boxes myself for a few years. Their marketing of the boxes for the built in "Auto/Clamp®" feature sold me on them (along with other features). The single gang wall cases have the feature, but I note in the catalog page linked above, that P&S calls these "Quick?Entry®". [Linked Image]

The single gang "Quick/Entry" has behaved like a clamp for me but I see that it is not manufactured as such by P&S.

I learned (yet another) something today.

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 07-24-2003).]

Al Hildenbrand
R
I like the "Quick-Click" feature.
An idea whose time has come.

P
i see over in the states you run your cables horizontaly in stud walls, we over here try to keep the the cables running verticaly..

also we have no requirement for protection of cables passing thru drilled timber only when the timber is knotched (is that spelt right)?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard