ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/19/03 03:36 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Naturally, i think all sheetrockers are out to get me, this is just a stairway here, the rest of the residence has assumed similar armour.

~sparky
Posted By: walrus Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/19/03 04:45 PM
Are those listed nail plates [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/19/03 05:24 PM
Are blank box covers listed for use as nailplates?

While I certainly cant see ANY conceivable hazard from their use, all it would take is one AHJ who wants to abandon common sense and insist on a listing.....
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/19/03 06:00 PM
300.4(A)(1) does not require a listed plate. The code only requires that the plater be made of steel that is at least 1/16" thick. A blank cover meets this rule.
Don
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 01:17 AM
Wiring looks good but that is rediculous.

[This message has been edited by Electricmanscott (edited 07-19-2003).]
Posted By: spkjpr Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 01:34 AM
Never had any trouble with the "rockers" but I have seen some tapers that should have been shot. Put in a couple of recpts for the trades to use in a house once and the tapers proceeded to fill all of them with mud,while they were HOT!
Posted By: txsparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 02:46 AM
D**M ! Are these rockers using 8 penny sheetrock nails???? Do you spend more on 4 sq. blank covers than you do on devices?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 03:08 AM
spkjpr,

I think I know those tapers. [Linked Image]

I've had the same thing happen a few times. If you're charging the GC extra for putting in "temporary" power/receptacles for the guys it doesn't seem to bother you as much.

Sparky,

If you don't leave those guys some wood to hit they might start using a Hilti. [Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 05:38 AM
This might explain those tapers:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 10:48 AM
this is a stressskin post & beam house, there are few 'open' walls to capatalize on, so the stairwell assumed the brunt of 1st to 2nd flr wiring.

the very same rockers screwed me on the last job, there's really no talking to those semi-bipedal knuclkedraggers yaknow [Linked Image]

I'll admit it rediuclous, but what's a few boxes of 4 sq covers?

It was worth the GC getting the point........
Posted By: pauluk Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/20/03 12:59 PM
I suppose that if this lot fails, the next project gets solid lumps of 1/4" steel armor plating over the cables! [Linked Image]

Now just tell the "knuckledgraggers" that all those plates are energized. Maybe that keep 'em away! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ZackDitner Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/21/03 03:26 AM
Grab an air powered nibbler and start chopping some sheet metal to cover these things [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gwz Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/22/03 11:14 AM
Picture with non-metallic box on floor plate;

see 334.30(A) FPN
see 314.17(C).

Other pictures, is it possible that holes were drilled through the stair stringers and the 1900 cover plates are just wood stiffiners?
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/22/03 11:23 PM
The boxes secure the cable Glenn, and i usually take advantage of the 12" offered.
(note pix#1 you can see internal clamps)

note the stacker usage on the single box mentioned in #2 & #5

I believe viking? lists for 2 'flat' cables under a staple, but the gist here is to get the wire away from the wood

I also use a about a dz bags of stackers per residence, all 2x4 walls get 'em.
The 1900's are actually cover wires 1 1/4" in due to them, yet if they want a banister, they're gonna have to use the hilti to get 'em.

You see, i don't have the advantage of an inspector for single fam dwellings here to berate the rockers.

One job, i placed a sign over the (in wall) panel "1000 VOLTS LIVE!" , one of the SR crew (sitting in his truck trying to hide the joint he was smokin' btw) said...

"Hey, you gonna shut that panel down so's we can rock it"

to which i replied
"Sorry, it's running the water pump for the mudders"

So you see, I do what i gotta do to survive here as an EC......
Posted By: Gwz Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/23/03 11:10 AM
The box on the floor plate is a single gang box.

See the Exception to 314.17(C) "- - - fastened within 8 inches of the box measured along the sheath - - -"
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/23/03 06:34 PM
Glenn,

The way I read the sections you are citing, if a non metallic box has built in clamps, I fasten within 12" down the sheath, but, if the non metallic box does not have built in clamps (or some other cable clamping means), then I fasten within 8" down the sheath.

Al

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 07-23-2003).]
Posted By: Gwz Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/24/03 01:45 AM
It has been a long time since I've seen single gang nonmetallic boxes with clamps used on the sites. Not saying there isn't any, but just economics I guess.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/24/03 04:13 AM
Glenn,

Thanks for raising the point about 314.17(C). This got me to look up the catalog for the box that, to my eye, is shown in Sparky's photo's above. I believe he shows [b][i]Pass & Seymour Slater boxes[/i][/b]

I've been using this line of boxes myself for a few years. Their marketing of the boxes for the built in "Auto/Clamp®" feature sold me on them (along with other features). The single gang wall cases have the feature, but I note in the catalog page linked above, that P&S calls these "Quick?Entry®". [Linked Image]

The single gang "Quick/Entry" has behaved like a clamp for me but I see that it is not manufactured as such by P&S.

I learned (yet another) something today.

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 07-24-2003).]
Posted By: Redsy Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/24/03 11:11 AM
I like the "Quick-Click" feature.
An idea whose time has come.
Posted By: PaulCornwall Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/24/03 05:34 PM
i see over in the states you run your cables horizontaly in stud walls, we over here try to keep the the cables running verticaly..

also we have no requirement for protection of cables passing thru drilled timber only when the timber is knotched (is that spelt right)?
Posted By: johnd24 Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/25/03 01:14 AM
never mind ...excuse me !!!

[This message has been edited by johnd24 (edited 07-26-2003).]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/25/03 01:56 AM
Johnd24,

300.4(A)(1) does not require a listed plate. The code only requires that the plater be made of steel that is at least 1/16" thick. A blank cover meets this rule.

--------------

I like the Slater boxes too. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/25/03 11:22 AM
Johnd24,just curious,whats not neat about Sparky's work besides the unusual armor job?

Russell

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 07-25-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/26/03 07:08 PM
johnd24, please tell me you are not an inspector. If you are please tell me you will stay in Ohio.
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/26/03 09:35 PM
yes Al, it is a P&S box w/internal clamps, they have the most volume per 1G i can find on the market.

johnd24,
'neat workmanship' is such a grey area, the single gang in question violates a bona fide code, it is visual, cite it and be the thread king!

~S
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 10:56 AM
I see a hint in in order.....

the 1G box is in violation of the very code that sells (and is written on the package) of the stacker beside it....

btw~ this is post & beam construction
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 12:57 PM
Sparky are you saying that by the time the wires enter the box,they are too close to the edge of the stud? [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 02:55 PM
ding>ding>ding we have a winner!
yes ga.sparky56 !

(this calls for a copy/paste) [Linked Image]

(D) Cables and Raceways Parallel to Framing Members. In both exposed and concealed locations, where a cable- or raceway-type wiring method is installed parallel to framing members, such as joists, rafters, or studs, the cable or raceway shall be installed and supported so that the nearest outside surface of the cable or raceway is not less than 32 mm (11/4 in.) from the nearest edge of the framing member where nails or screws are likely to penetrate. Where this distance cannot be maintained, the cable or raceway shall be protected from penetration by nails or screws by a steel plate, sleeve, or equivalent at least 1.6 mm (1/16 in.) thick
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 03:15 PM
I,m afraid to ask what the prize is. [Linked Image]
Posted By: walrus Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 04:15 PM
As a guy who doesn't do houses, isn't this a problem(1.25 in clearances) on any interior wall where a box is installed?? like between 2 bedrooms or wherever a stud wall is used a partition. If the box is 3 inches deep on a 3.5 wall?????
Posted By: sparky Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/27/03 05:11 PM
hit the nail on the head guys !

somebody post a redtag, i gotta nuther 1900 plate to install there.....
Posted By: Big Jim Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 07/28/03 02:36 AM
O K, just for the sake of arguement. The box is not installed parallel to a framing menber, it is installed on a spacer. It is not in an area likely to be penetrated by nails or screws. There would be no reason for someone to be fastening sheathing in that ares. The 2 x 4 spacer moves the wire away from the edge of the framing member.
I think it can be argued that it passes.
Posted By: JMichael Re: Nailplating to the nth degree - 08/01/03 03:35 AM
I can just hear myself muttering in the backround wondering where all my profits have gone!
© ECN Electrical Forums