ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#109726 11/28/05 09:38 PM
Here are a couple of pictures of panels that are existing to the building, but the EC is using for temporary power. As an inspector, I would not permit this. During my inspection, I would tell them the correction had to be made IMMEDIATELY. I would give them a couple of hours, and I would come back to check this. It has been the normal routine in this area and now we are trying to stop this method. It is starting to occur.

Pierre Belarge

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

H
yuck! who's responsible for this awful mess

Cliff
D
I like how they wrap the wires around the copper water pipe for support.

R
Hideous,
What runs through the piping? Is it legit to run piping over a panel like that?

Tim

Those panels look like they had indigestion from Thanksgiving and hoarked out a rats nest with all the trimmings

P
Is that temporary Romex entering the top of the panel just threaded through the bare knockout with no protection?

Not that it seems like such a big deal looking at the way most of the other cables are just hanging there...... [Linked Image]

R
Hideous,
What runs through the piping? Is it legit to run piping over a panel like that?
Tim

See 110.26(F)

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
J
I'll probably regret saying this...

What's the problem? This is temporary wiring for the convenience of the contractors. Who hasn't done something like this when it's needed? What matters is whether the final product meets code.

If you're going to complain that the temporary wiring isn't properly supported at the panel, then why stop there? Demand that the romex be nailed up and protected all the way back to the receptacles. What the heck, if it's commercial property, don't even let 'em use romex for temporary wiring at all -- demand MC or AC. Where do you draw the line?

The point is, I see nothing inherently unsafe about this practice. Anybody in the construction trades walking by these rats nests will give them wide berth.

The only problem I'd have is if the building is occupied and the area is accessible to tenants, in which case the panels should be closed up and the wires secured against accidental movement.

Now, how come phase C in the top picture is white, and if it's an existing panel, where's the conduit for the feeder???

P
John
I hope you are kidding.
The reason I posted these pictures is because the practice you see is pretty common, but is deplorable. It is not professional or safe in any manner, and does not comform to many code requirements. Your response is pretty typical for contractors who have not learned the proper way to install electrical installations, whether temporary or permanent.

BTW: This work gets red tagged every time, and is considered hazardous, so I also make sure that it is corrected IMMEDIATELY.

A question to add to this post.
These installations are in dwellings. The installer leaves at night to go home. The homeowner has no lights, as during the day one of the circuits has been tripped during the construction. Would anyone feel comfortable with having the homeowner trying to reset one of these circuit breakers?

[This message has been edited by PCBelarge (edited 11-29-2005).]

Pierre Belarge
P
I forgot to answer about the plumbing pipe. In the picture it is difficult to tell, but the pipe is actually behind the panel.
And yes, this work is as bad as it looks.

Pierre Belarge
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard