ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Posted for Mike Trump

Trumpy will give you the details [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks, Mike !!

Stay up to Code with the Latest NEC:

>> 2023 NEC & Related Reference & Exam Prep
2023 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

Pass Your Exam the FIRST TIME with the Latest NEC & Exam Prep

>> 2020 NEC & Related Reference & Study Guides

D
I'm still trying to figure out the first pic - looks like a marriage of LV and (110) Line control circuitry, in an unprotected panel. Pic 6 looks like a similar condition.

Are pics 2,3, & 4 showing some kind of decomposed ENT over the conductors?

Nice "Conductors in Free Air" in #5...

Ok Mr. Trump, clue us in! [Linked Image] I think I've figured out a few things, but I'm sure I'm missing something in here

first pic is a control station for something. timers, start/stops, & I also see a socket for an 'ice cube' relay with tape all over.. Is that thing at line voltage? With the open terms on that, it should probably be in a can to be protected from damage & accidental contact.

pics 2-5, seems you have the disappearing conduit trick going on.. Things really have to be made for the corrosive environments in slaughter houses/Meat packing plants... Appearing to be outside, was this some sort of raceway that isn't generally used outdoors? Another note, I know you guys have different color schemes down there, please tell me the green & (gray?) wires in pics 3& 4 arent line voltage! [Linked Image] Last pic looks like a rats nest.. Did you remove the cover or was it missing?

T
As far as I can guess the first pic shows a 230/400V 3üh fuse panel for rewireable fuse carriers, some of which are missing.
Since there's a standard single pole breaker the rats nest could very well be at the same voltage.

Ok Guys,
Sorry to hold out on you guys.
Pic 1 is a Refrigeration Control panel.
This is a 400V 3 phase panel and all of the fuses have 400v between them.
If you thought the front of the panel was dodgy, I tried to open the panel and the sheer mass of wire tangle, prevented me from opening it more than an inch!.
Pic 2, is a Thermostat wire, one feed plus 2 load wires on the Cooling Tower, 230V controls.
Pic 3 show's the actual thermostat, a Ranco, I believe.
Pic 4 shows what is left of the Non-metallic Conduit, used to sheath this stuff, sunlight and sea air, has it's way with Bettaflex here.
Pic 5 shows more of the same, but the wires here feed a 3 phase 400V fan on top of the Cooling Tower.
Pic 6 shows a temporary box that was installed 5 years ago, it controls the speed of the Pig Slaughter Chain, via Pneumatics.
Thanks Scott, for posting these images!!!!. [Linked Image]

P
What a mess! [Linked Image]

Those rewireable fuses look almost identical to the type that were common in Britain years ago.

What are the two gray boxes at the top of the first pic? Timers? Contactors? I can't make out the name on them on my monitor, but at first glance they look very much like old British MEM switchgear.

Paul,
Those gray boxes are MEM Phase Failure relays. [Linked Image]

P
Thought they looked like MEM gear. For non-Brits, the MEM name was derived from Midlands Electrical Manufacturing Co. Not certain, but I think they used to be headquartered in Birmingham (England, not Ala. [Linked Image])

C
I always wondered what these places looked liked inside. Now I know. [Linked Image]

Mike, just curious, were you there for repairs? How were you able to walk around and take pictures without arousing suspicion?

Peter

Peter
Pete,
I was there doing a Hazard Assessment course with a new Apprentice, at the time.
Learning how to identify Electrical Hazards, as to their Employment.
So I thought that this would be the best place to start her off.
My Lord, there are enough bad panels in this place, to write a Novel.
I was also warned to stop taking pictures!.
Damn!. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard