I can only tell you that these issues are being discussed at the NFPA and the Mass Code Advisory Committee. Apparently many other jurisdictions are discussing it also Gfretwell is in FLA and they have had issues with it for a while.

No one (that I have talked to) really thinks it is practical to bond pool water. Also no one seems to know exactly what to do with a fiberglass pool! But everyone I have talked to indicates that something must be done to reword these two sections. There is a possibility that if and when the NFPA addresses this they may consider gradient voltage to the pool water (via osmosis) I am not sure how well the pool wall actually is serves as an insulator. But that is just a thought on my part. One of the original proposals was concerned with GPR (Ground Potential Rise) in the water. The CMP accepted that proposal but in comment stage decided it was impractical to bond the water.

Locally I would consult with the local inspector before doing a glass pool. If that answer is not acceptable there is always appeal $50 to the Board of State Examiners. If some one submits a request for an interpretation the committee will have to convene and develop a consensus. In any case the existing language is to loose and needs tightening up. Sorry I can not be more specific but this process is being massaged at this time and I do not believe there is an official stance other than the existing language.

Charlie Palmieri