This is confusing [Linked Image]...but I'm sure we professionals can sort this out...

In the 2005 Analysis oc Changes from the IAEI on page 327 there is a picture of a pool with nonconductive reinforcing steel and the alternative method of establishing a grid is shown in the picture only under the 3 foot walking surface extending beyond the pools edge.

So maybe the concern is only for the paved walking surface around the pool where we would be in contact with those stray voltages.

But why only the PAVED surface. My cousin has a pool that has grass lawn up to within 1 foot of the water and then stone surrounding the pools edge. Would not these stray voltage gradients be present in the earths natural surface as also?

Also, this bonding of the pools water as you describe, this is acomplished through bonding of the pools wet niche or the metal hand rail for exsample. What if there is nothing associated with the pools water that needs bonding?

The fiberglass pool company that I saw at the home show in Bawstin said sometimes there is nothing to bond in direct contact with the water. For exsample they would use fiber optic lighting and there would be no other metalic parts in contact with the water requiring bonding.

In this case wouldn't there be a potential difference between the water and the EBG surrounding the pool?

shortcircuit