"I can't imagine why these steam
generators would need a GFCI any
more than the electric water
heater supplying a shower?"

I'm not sure, but I don't think that the average water heater has the elements within the tank? I think they heat the outside of the tank. I haven't broken one open...

Both units mentioned above have the (assuming resistance) elements within the tank, or "vessel". They are also nearly identical units from the same company, and seem to quote out of two different codes in thier instructions?

Now just for the sake of debate, as truthfully I am lost here:(It sounds like either one could apply, but both are very different from eachother!)

ART. 424 Fixed Electric "Space-Heating Equipment"
And within its scope covers boilers.And, further on says, "This article shall not apply to process heating..." What-ever that is? Then goes on, and on about space heating and base-board heaters, until you get to part VII. Resistance-Type Boilers. Anyway, to me it sounds more, and more like "boiler" for a radiator, or "space heating" device.

Now 427, Fixed Electric Heating Equipment for Pipelines and Vessels.

"427.1 Scope.
The requirements of this article shall apply to electrically energized heating systems and the installation of these systems used with pipelines or vessels or both."

Further in the definitions it has "Vessel".
"A container such as a barrel, drum, or tank for holding fluids or other material." (like the one in these units?)

So 424 requires:
Disconnect within site of equipment or controler, and in some cases be able to locked open. (No provission for cord connected...)
No applicable GFCI requirements.
No mention of grounding other than in Electrode types.

And 427 requires:
"disconnecting means shall be of the indicating type and shall be provided with a positive lockout in the “off” position." With some provision for cord connected at 20A or less. (simular to some of these units)
Requires GFCI protection.
And only mentions grounding as part of the electrod or resitance types for the heating methods.

(In terms of bonding metalic pipes "likely to become energized", I have to do that from 250.104(B), for hot water, and gas, everything except waste lines for the time being.)

So which one is it for sure???

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason