In REA coops there was often a service standard requirement to connect the Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) to the drip loop at the service drop. It was believed that this would provide superior lightning protection. At one home that I did the heavy up on I ran the GEC from the drip loop through the attic and down to the water service because the basement was finished. The inspector said I couldn't do that and I wrote him a letter to request the decision in writing. He replied with the green sticker in the envelope. I guess that he realized that not having seen it before was not a good reason to turn it down.

It is true that some utilities do not want anyone except their staff to open the meter enclosure. The use of locking rings in place of the lighter gage ceiling rings is becoming more common. Ringless meter enclosures are also being locked rather than sealed with greater frequency now. The connection is allowed inn the an accessible meter enclosure but since utility action can render it inaccessible it may no longer be best practice to terminate it there.
--
Tom H

Tom Horne

"This alternating current stuff is just a fad. It is much too dangerous for general use" Thomas Alva Edison