Joe,And John,

Having plugs installed upside down is very common. Cane we do something about it? I don't think so. Until all the manufactures make there cord the same way. Say if the grounding conductor was on the bottom of the cap and the cord also left via the bottom of the cap then all cords would hang down. Then the NEC would have to state that all receptacles would have to be installed with the grounding conductor down. Or visa-versa if you don't want plates to fall on the hot/neutal prongs. As an electrical contractor (EC) I would see that the cord had some strain on it and I would change the angle of the receptacle. However I still see on newer installs where the cords are still upside down. When I go for a final inspection the appliance isn't there. When I leave the building and give it my final OK and the applience guys come later they don't give a damn as to which way the cord is facing. Yet the job was done and inspected and passed at the time when we were there. If it is a res. job there isn't much that you can do. If it is a com/ind job you can just hope that the fire inspector guys do their job.