Virgil,

An outsider's view of these quoted rules.

410-57(c). Reading that one, I would go along with your interpretation, as the only other way to read it that I can see is to just prohibit the installation of a receptacle inside the tub or shower-stall itself. And nobody could be THAT stupid, right? [Linked Image]

Then:

550-8(f)(1) "Shower or Bathtub Space Receptacle outlets shall not be installed in or within reach (30 inches) of a shower or bathtub space."

So if we assume that "shower or bathtub space" is defined as an area extending 3 ft. horizontally from the tub, then logically this means that no receptacle should be within 3 ft. + 30 in. or 5' 6" of the tub.

This seems to be more in line with the 5' for switches quoted in 630-41(c), but why is the latter rule restricted to "spa or hot tub" and not tubs, showers, etc. in general?

Have I missed something?

Also, the wording of 550-8(f)(1) seems rather clumsy to me. Why not just "Receptacle outlets shall not be installed....." ?

Sparky,
Not too many mices (as Mr. Jinks would have said!) around here, but my house backs onto sand dunes with long grass. Now the weather is warming up I get regular presents of sand lizards! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-18-2002).]