I once got called out to a gold mine in British Columbia way out in the boondocks to fix a big soft starter on an air compressor. It was a 16 hour trip to get there, the last 10 hours of which were on a bumpy dirt road. When I got there, the PC board had been obviously raked with a screwdriver, there was a 6" long gash right down the middle, circuit traces cut, components destroyed etc. Their "electrician" said "You guys must have shipped it from the factory that way". As much as I wanted to scream and throttle him (as if we would miss something that obvious), I swallowed my pride and replaced the board. A 10 minute job.

The next day I began my 16 hour trip home and since it was a mining area with blasting etc., I had to have a radio in the car and report as I passed each mile post on the road. 5 hours later they call me to return, the compressor isn't working again. 5 hours back, I open the cabinet and again, someone has raked a screwdriver across the main PC board. Now they accuse ME of doing it! I said "Oh sure. I drive 16 hours to get here to do a 10 minute job that you could have done yourself and I'm going to risk making this trip again just to piss you off? Where's the logic in that?"

I had one more board so I put it in and start the compressor. Now it's too late for me to start out for the nearest town again until the next morning, so I get a tour of the mine by the maintenance supervisor. While we are in the catwalk of the machinery bldg where the compressor was, the shift changes. A new guy comes into the machine room holding his ears, opens the cabinet and rakes a screwdriver across my PC board again, killing the compressor. Then he goes off in a corner behind the compressor where nobody can see him (except from the catwalk) and settles in for a nap! He gets fired that night.

The worst part is, after firing him they ask me to give him a ride back to town the next day when I leave! Needless to say I did not want to spend 10 hours on a dirt road in the wilderness with a disgruntled employee who might feel I am responsible for his losing his job! I declined.

JRaef