When we moved into the new apartment there was a lot of weord switches too, but it took me no more than 15 minutes until I knew what every switch did. There's no way I'd accept to have a switch in my house of which I don't know what it does!

I've got a funny story too... when I was around 5, my dad rented another apartment in an old house. One room was used as an office, one was a guest bedroom. Then there was a half bedroom (used for storage) and the kitchen we used as a work shop. He only had the office and guest bedroom rewired, as well as the panel replaced (fuses, two 10A circuits with screw-in breakers, some of which didn't even went out if you pushed the red button, let alone trip).
One day when I was maybe 6 or 7 and had already done my first attempts at house wiring, the ceiling light in the work shop failed.
I knew the wiring was shoddy at least, so I tried to convince my dad of a rewire and didn't bother to really check out things. Well, it turned into a full rewire (and I'm still glad we did it, the original wiring was incredible), but when we were done (mostly I was done), the light still didn't work. Then it dawned on us and we considered checking the light bulb...