I got my license in '74 and have always worn seat belts. It's some of the shoulder belt anchor points and inertial reels that have bugged the heck out of me over the years. I remember my older brothers always making us buckle up in the mid 60's but my dad not really caring. I'm not sure my dad's '60 Buick even came with belts, or his '64. Does anybody remember?

The only thing I've been doing differently lately is to wait until I have engine start before buckling up. Belts are great when you're moving, but not if you're burning.

Back to transmissions, just the way we talk about them is out of whack now. We tend to call a manual transmission a "standard" or a "stick". But is a manual still what comes as standard equipment or is an automatic standard? Should I start telling folks I can drive an optional transmission? And why is that old 3 on the tree accepted to mean a 3 speed Saginaw on an old GM and not a Turbo 350 with "D", "L2", and "L1"? They all have sticks sticking out of them, don't they? I love all the memories this brings back and the fact that some of the old automotive terms and phrases so commonplace then, will just make young folks cock their heads sideways and wonder if we've lost it. Thanks for the topic, Mike!
Joe