Don't confuse my title; I'm n00b to international commercial electrical design, but I'm an experienced engineer and an expert in my (well, previous) field. There seems to be an ongoing fued between engineers and technicians/electricians, one always cursing the other! I can't tell you how many times I've cursed the $&#%@&*&^$#^& electricians for ignoring my instructions and doing whatever the hell they felt like, only to do it wrong and have to rip it all out and do it again. It goes both ways, you know [Linked Image]

There are certain things an electrician is more expert on and other things the engineer is more expert on. If my drawings say to put in a particular type of cable with a specific type of conduit, I expect him to follow those instructions- there are "big picture" things you don't necessarily see when you're doing a specific part of a larger job. Likewise, the engineers usually get more tied up in the overall design and don't get involved in the details- I'd never go down and tell an electrician how to strip wires, or install an outlet box, for instance. I tell the technician to install an M83522/16-DNX ST-fiber optic connector with <.75dB light loss, but not the polishing technique to make it pass, etc. Occassionally I'll have to detail something out if there are special circumstances, but if that's the case, I always try to put notes on the drawing spelling that out in plain english to try to prevent "re-engineering." I could give ya'll examples of routing waveguide where the installer thought he knew better than the engineer and ended up costing the navy half a million dollars, but I don't think it's really necessary.

That said, I know this forum has a lot of highly experienced people and I value your experience and your input, which is why I made this post asking your advice! [Linked Image] Speaking of which: I'm vaguely aware of cable slap from a thread on here about a faulty elevator; when does it really become a problem? Is this something I'll have to be taking into account or only extremely rarely an issue?