I'm an electrical engineer; up until now I've done mostly shipboard electronic work with just incidental power (3-phase delta as well as 115VAC), but I recieved a promotion and will now be working shore communication facilities and infrastructure worldwide, including generators and UPS (fairly big ones, on the order of 500kVA). I'm fairly well versed in the small stuff, like residential NEC, but this will be my first real work in the commercial end.

Anyone have any tips for things that might not be evident? Like cable slap and how to deal with it, and derating and other things that aren't exactly standard coursework in college? I've got a number of mil-hdbks I have to abide by as well as the commercial specs, so everythough *should* be laid out, I'm just worried I might not realize a problem until it's too late.

I'll also be doing work in Japan, Italy, Germany and UK (and probably a few others)- do they all use NEC too? Do most nations use the same permit/inspection methods the US does, or does it differ wildly from place to place?