Renosteinke does not make valid point because that is not how it works. In most cases the handyman or hack does get the lights on or the machine running or whatever. The customer usually does not even know how many dangerous code violations there are until later. Flying splices, buried boxes, oversized breakers and fuses, cable laying on ceiling grid,boxes uncovered, live conductors in crawl spaces, the list can go on forever of items that can be wrong and dangerous with the building or equipment still showng no symptoms. I was at a job not long ago where the ground system had been disconnected ( 6 years since the hacks were there ). It was caught on an inspection ( home inspector that caught many faults). I had to explain to the owner that the last remodeling job had been done under the table as I could tell from the obvious violations ( no GFCI protection in kitchen an electrical inspector would have caught that one easy ). Handymen are not good for the trade because in many cases home and business owners are not knowledgeable enough to know the difference between a job that is to code and safe and a job that seems to work. There are licensed hacks in every trade but I don't think you can start to get rid of them without some sort of trade regulation ( license requirements). Michigan requires 12,000 hrs. experience and testing. How much experience does our strawberry farmer have to be giving advice to friends on wiring projects. If Mr. sberry27 is a retired master electrician I will apologize, if not he should stop giving advice because he is not qualified. I believe that every home or business owner should be free to burn his own property down but before a sale is made there should be a thorough inspection to make sure he doesn't injure the unwary.