Also I don't know what kind of car you drive but you might want to start making sure you can get it going pretty fast as a explosive nuclear blast can create winds of 500 mph.
I am by far no expert on the subject but I wonder how long anyone has after that event.

An accident/meltdown at a nuke power plant CANNOT result in a "nuclear blast" similar to an atomic bomb. Simply not the right types of materials and completely wrong configruation.

About the worst case scenario would be a steam/hydrogen explosion in the reactor vessel that breached the containment and released radioactive material. The problem here wouldn't be outrunning 500 mph winds and a shockwave, but trying to evacuate along with everyone else in the area. A full tank of gas in the car does nothing when all the roads turn into parking lots. [Linked Image] Unless you are lucky enough to be one of the first ones on the road, you are going to be there a while, so stock up on potassium iodide pills and hope for the best....

Siting that plant just north (und upriver) of NYC had to be one of the stupidest moves imaginable.