Dave I do not work in dwelling units so I do not know if there are benefits other than saving money.

However on large jobs there are real benefits.

First and foremost voltage drop is much lees of a problem.

Second raceway fill / derating is much less of a problem.

As an example a entire 42 circuit panel full of two wire circuits is 84 current carrying conductors. Make the same panel all multi wire branch circuits and you have 42 current carrying conductors.

by Dave55
Sarcasm aside, what benefit is there in running shared-neutrals other than saving a little wire? You can sugar-coat it any way you want.

I do not have to sugar coat it there are real benefits to the customer by utilizing multi wire branch circuits. There is nothing 'hack' about using multi wire branch circuits.

If you run all two wire circuits in a large commercial project all that you have gained is cost to the customer.

by John
Even in other applications, I find myself getting away from them for power quality reasons

Please explain the power quality issues brought on by multi wire branch circuits.

The panel feeding the branch circuits uses a common neutral, wouldn't this create the same power quality issues?

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts