I'm doing a 200 amp 3phase 208 service upgrade for a new salon. No prints, no specs. Now I've always had the understanding that it is the EE's responsibility to spec out the AIC rating of the main, then my responsibility to be sure the equipment is to those specs and that it is series rated etc.

Well on this one there is no print, no engineer, so I asked the PoCo what the available fault current was and got the phone equivalent of a blank stare. Then he told me I'd have to figure it out myself. I told him (and it's true) that I have gotten this type of information from them in the past. I also explained that it is their equipment, and he would have to be involved anyway in at least getting me xfmer KVA and impedance etc. etc.

the GC works his day job as a project manager of a large commercial construction firm and is doing this build out on the side (all permitted of course). He has given me a slight attitude of me worrying too much about things that will ultimately hold up the tight schedule of the job, and I am getting little to no cooperation from anyone which will lead to delays. So the GC asked one of his big time design-build guys about the situation and they said they never worry about it unless something unusual catches their eye, and then they'll one of their engineer's run it through. But he says most situations like mine right now don't go much higher than 18,000 amps and a 22K rated main is fine.

So anyway, the whole thing is frustrating me a little. I am wondering what you guys do about this? I've had many people tell me that the first thing you are supposed to do when doing a service is get the available fault current before you start, but from the reaction of the PoCo guy, nobody's doing it. Any and all feedback would be much appreciated.