Well, as luck would have it, I was offered the chance to scrounge throught a friend's parent's basement for tools and 'lectrical stuff (pics coming!) to make up for my recent theft. In inventory-ing my losses, I realized that I had bought mostly Klein & Ideal tools. Usually under the (not too unfounded) belief that "you get what you pay for", in terms of quality and durability.

As I went through the tools (previous owner was an HVAC guy), I caught myself discarding screwdrivers without a legible brand name, and second guessing pliers and such in a similar state.

It got me wondering... Am I a "tool snob"? And how much does a name brand mean to you?

Would you pass over a "perfectly good" generic tool for one with more of a "rep", or "street cred"?

Say, Klein, instead of Craftsman... (Yes, I realize that Klien makes tools under license for other folks like Craftsman).

Milwaukee, instead of DeWalt...

Vaco, instead of Stanley...

Obviously, I'm not counting the generic "made in China" Chrome plated tin pliers (although I did have a "cheapo" cable cutter before I inherited my Greenlee one)

And we'll ignore the "strips first time you use them" phillips, as these are for EMERGENCY USE ONLY (the world has ended, and you're stuck re-illuminating the last survivors with a "Tool Shop" tool set, or you're doing expedient work with your "okay to get stolen" set of cheepo keep-in-the-car tools.)

What's your take on the issue?

BTW-scored MAJOR toolage... full 3/8" & 1/2" socket set, extra wrenches, more KO punches, and a bunch of plumbing and electrical fittings. Should be back up to speed pretty quick. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 04-18-2004).]