Greg,

You sound exactly like me about three years ago. Except I started out of my home instead of in a shop. I am still in my home.

It is fun to find out which newspapers work the best and which ones get no response. I don't waste any advertising money in one particular newspaper any more.

I remember nailing and taping paper flyers all over an area that I wanted to get some work from. that alleged to about two jobs. But I give a business card to every new customer that I get. That is the first thing I do. Sometimes even before I shake their hand. I still do work for one of those customers from the paper flyers.

Do a good job, be polite and friendly, and try to be a friend. Act like thier electrical problem or job is the most important thing to you. They will call you back and reffer you to their friends. Don't ever get argumentative with them.

The way I met the General Contractor that I do the most work for is. I was on the same residential remodel job as this Framer Contractor. He asked me if I was interested in doing a new Peter Piper Pizza. I said yes. He said, well this General Contractor is looking for an electrician, come met him at the new job. So I dressed up real nice and went. The framming Contractor told me that the last electrical Contractor bid the last job for $35,000.00 which was simmilar to this job. So I looked, I felt confident that I could do the job for $35,000.00. Keep in mind I had no estimating experience. I came straight out of the field. I used my best judgement, my educated guess, and a little common sense.

Well now I am about to build my Fourth Peter Piper Pizza. And I am bidding them at $55,000.00. This General admited to me at first that his fist impression of me was that I was just some punk kid trying to start a business. Now he is glad he took a chance with me. He doesn't get any other bids.

My advise is "Don't ever give up". Be creative in your advertising. Have Fun. You are your own boss now.

Tev