It's sad, but as an electromechanical engineer, I do this constantly, too. Worst example- a few months ago, I was out in San Diego with one my electrical technicians and we decided to hit the San Diego Zoo... and we were FAR more interested in the exsquisite engineering in the drainage system and the emergency power setup to maintain pumps and power to the cages than the animals themselves! Backs to the cages, pointing out different components of emergency generators and autmatic transfer switches half-hidden in the bushes near almost every cluster of cages. I'm glad my wife wasn't along on that trip!

Even worse was when I met up with a Roman aerospace/structural engineer for a 2-day tour of the ruins of Rome, but I think professional curiosity is easily justified there! I mean, you can hear about gladiators anytime on the history channel, but do ever they mention how the romans used gradiants of aggregate in their concrete and iron straps glued into place with molten lead poured through sprue-like troughs chiseled into the blocks expressly for that purpose?

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 08-31-2006).]