Curious, isn't it, how countries can differ so drastically in at what point reduced-size earths are allowed (in British 2C+E and 3C+E flat cables, the 1mm2 is the only one that actually has the same-size earth, everything larger has smaller earths). And I believe some European rules may even demand a larger earth in smaller cables (or singles in conduit)? Would sure be interesting to know how they worked them all out. wink (Flexible cords pretty much anywhere seem to all have same-size earths.)

I can understand keeping cables away from sharp metal, but any metal? That one's new to me. With a restriction like that, it's a wonder they still bother making it at all, especially given such inflated pricing. crazy

Having double insulation on an earth wire seems a bit unnecessary too. And it's possible to get British 2C+E (and prior to 1966, 2-core without earth) with two brown (modern) or red (older) wires, but most electricians there seem to just use the normal kind (brown+blue now, red+black historically) and over-sleeve the "neutral" core.

Last edited by LongRunner; 05/06/17 05:26 AM.