Hi!

I had an e-mail discussion with a cable manufacturer recently since I wondered why cables look like they do. I was rather surprised at some of the answers I got.

Solid vs. Stranded. The price difference is only 2% and the manufacturer didn't seem to like solid wires. In their opinion, the only reason to use it was that it was easier to use in some terminals.

I only see solid 1.5 and 2.5 mm2 (#16 and #13) cables in the shops. To my surprise, I was informed that the manufacturer made much (otherwise identical) stranded cables in these sizes. It is sold to camper manufacturers. (!)

Question for the ECN members: Do you prefer solid or stranded?

I also asked why european cables are have a 70°C rating as opposed to the 90°C rating used in North America. There were two reasons: It's cheaper making 70°C 2.5mm2 than 90°C 1.5mm2. In addition, 90°C cables are rather stiff. (They have to add a stabiliser to the softener to keep the softener from leaving the cable at the higher temperature.)

Question for ECN: Are North American cables e.g. Romex, stiff?

I'm starting to think that cables look the way they do simply because nobody questions their design. [Linked Image]