Or, more likely, that info was wrong to begin with.

By the way, I do have a piece of grey H03VH-H2X0.75 (or the Australian Standard equivalent? The text failed to print properly on this sample, unfortunately...) with the ridges identifying the neutral core, although it wasn't actually in use on the mains. It is indeed very flexible, although a good H03VVH2-F2X0.75 cord isn't exactly unmanageable under any normal circumstances.

Also, here's another poll, this one aimed specifically at the USA and Canada... wink (I'm not about to suggest such a changeover for the fixed wiring cables, as that would only create more confusion, for probably no tangible benefit anyway.)

For convenience, here is my list of suggested replacements, for the PVC cords:
  • SPT-1 --> H03VH-H (2-core only) is the closest match, but I'd usually prefer to use H03VVH2-F (2-core) / H03VV-F (3-core)
  • SPT-2 --> no direct equivalent; I suggest using H03VVH2-F or H05VVH2-F (2-core, 0.75-1.0mm²) / H03VV-F or H05VV-F instead
  • SPT-3 --> no direct equivalent; I suggest using H05VVH2-F (2-core, 0.75-1.0mm²) / H05VV-F (1.5mm²+ and all 3-core) instead
  • NISPT-1 --> H03VVH2-F (or for 3 cores, use H03VV-F instead)
  • NISPT-2 --> H03VVH2-F or H05VVH2-F (or for 1.5mm²+ and/or 3-core, use H05VV-F instead)
  • SVT --> H03VV-F (or H03V2V2-F for heat resistance to 90°C)
  • SJT --> H05VV-F (or H05V2V2-F for heat resistance to 90°C)
  • ST --> H07VV-F? (although not included in IEC 60227-5, the equivalent of it is quite common here in Australia; otherwise you could choose one of the rubber cords)
And for the rubber cords:
  • HPN --> ??? (a hypothetical equivalent would be designated something like H03N4H-H, but I'm not aware of any such cord actually being made)
  • SV --> no direct equivalent; use the replacements given for SJ... instead
  • SJ --> H05RR-F, H05RN-F, H05BB-F etc.
  • S --> H07RN-F, H07BB-F etc.
I thought about the TPE-insulated cords (SVE, SJE, SE) but I don't know of any Harmonised equivalents to them. Earlier versions of AS/NZS 3191 did have some but as of the 2008 revision, they were deleted.

Any other questions? (One that comes to my mind is, would they be happy to use the "split" voltage ratings, or would they feel the need to dumb them down again?)

Do you think they should adopt the Harmonised flexes in North America?
single choice
Votes accepted starting: 07/21/15 04:20 AM