I guess that I work for a small enough, yet large enough company that (with a few exceptions) bad/lazy foreman get s**t canned ASAP, and someone running another job is pulled to due double duty and get the job finished, or a very good mid level person is given a chance to finish it. That’s how I got my chance with the company. A guy made a bunch of big mistakes and was let go, and I got the chance to jump in and try to finish (with great backup on another job that I could call up) Assuming that something is not seriously messed up a good foreman can figure out what has been done and finish the work.

tsolanto: Get that guy out of there! You’ll lose a lot more money due to bad work than you will by paying someone overtime to get the job done on time! Had a helper who said something to the effect of “Well, I was looking for a job when I got this one”. That kind of attitude does not fly!

As for the tools on person subject I have spent months at a time putting my tools on and never pulling them out since I was too busy making sure that the guys were working (it actually sucks, but hey… it’s my job to run a bunch of guys), but every damn time I needed a damn pair on Kleins, I had them on me. A foreman without tools is just a sad sad site. I hate seeing guys from other trades walk on site without a tool of any type. You don’t even know what the hell they do until they talk to someone from their company. Anyways, enough from my big mouth. This is a subject that people could talk about for years over coffee.

Pete