tsolanto, i feel your pain. I have always been a hands on boss. Just in the last six months we have grown to having three crews working in different places. I basically play fireman and put out the flames on my crew. I have the same problem going on right now.

One crew leader is good as gold and he puts his heart into his work, i have never caught him loafing on a job. He gets his materials together every morning and heads straight to the job. If he has the smallest problem that he isn't 100% sure of he will call and get my input. He runs the job right and on time. We worked together for another company years ago when i was getting my training and have always had a good relationship. I take care of the guy and he takes care of me.

I hired a guy about 7 months ago from another company and it has been a nightmare for the most part. He drags out the jobs, rubs my help the wrong way, loves to point at say "get your @ss over there and do it". I have always been one to hop in the trench first and get my hands dirty. My help is about fed up with the guy and the tension is growing. He does real neat work but it's not done the way I have taught my guys. That will be the first change I shall require which will likely end in a arguement.

The other issue is he never has his crap together. It shows on the supply tickets, one sealtight connector here, one 5/8" plaster ring there. This guy has a trailer and a truck and never keeps em stocked. Hits the supply house six times a day...worthless!

He also loves to talk on the phone and run his personal errands on my clock.

This will probably end this week though since I have written a two page employee memo addressing these issues. If it doesnt then he will be terminated.

So don't feel like the lone ranger tsolanto, it happens to all of us i guess!