As several have pointed out, that mast just doesn't look right. I've even heard a reference to Jack and his beanstalk laugh. Here's a close-up:

[Linked Image from i143.photobucket.com]

It appears that there is nearly eight feet of mast above the roof deck. There are threads under the weatherhead (it was fun watching them try to install the weatherhead over the coupling), and that is a complete, uncut length of pipe. To be honest, with this location being in a parking lot, I'm in favor of raising that connection as high as possible.

The local PoCo standard reads: "Guying or bracing may be required, see NEC 230.28." The artwork shows a maximum of five feet of mast above the roof deck (and not the peak).

The NEC simply says: "Where a service mast
is used for the support of service-drop conductors, it shall
be of adequate strength or be supported by braces or guys
to withstand safely the strain imposed by the service drop."

Well, there ... that clears things up. Yea, sure it does - as clear as mud.

For comparison, another utility's standard reads:
"Periscope to be installed in accordance with NEC Article #230. Periscope structures projecting
over 30" above the roof must be braced against the normal pull (see Section 4.0) of the service
drop conductors. Larger conductor or longer spans may also require bracing. Bracing, when
required, shall consist of two galvanized steel members installed at approximately 90° spread.
Minimum size brace shall be 1-1/4" x 1-1/4" x 1/8" galvanized steel angle. Periscope bracing shall
be anchored through sub-roof with minimum 3/8" galvanized carriage bolts."
Now, that's more definite!

Considering the direction of the drop, I think that's the way to do it - with rigid bracing, rather than guy wires. Considering the arrangement of the building, you can't get that 90-degree spread, but I'd certainly want something.

To put it in perspective ... in this area I have seen masts made from 1-1/4" RMC with permanent bends caused by the weight of ice from storms - and this location is in the South, not far from Memphis. Not an area known for harsh winters.