Originally Posted by renosteinke

I have a few problems with this design.
First of all, a pretty hefty 'triple tap' adapter for a standard cord costs about 1/4 what this contraption costs.

I often see this position stated on the forum, it's included to feign incredulity for why something was done as it was. And while I don't agree with it I see perfectly well how it happens.

In this case some carpenter helper was probably tasked with setting up tools for the "Master Carpenters" and did not have a budget nor was he allowed off site to purchase (goof off) the proper set up, and so he had to make do with what he could scrounge (a few electrical leftovers from a cabinet shipped that was the wrong spec). He probably also had to provide the plumbers with access to power as they already had their equipment plugged into the only legit outlet as they were on site at 6 am instead of 7. Not to mention that the proper set up is the one that gets stolen at every job and so you are actually penalized for having it with you. In the end the best workable setup ends up being the one pictured.