I've placed this thread in the 'discussion' forum, because I expect we'll drift a bit from code issues. Let's try to be nice .... and try to keep the politics to a minimum smile

On May 5th, I went to the jobsite ... for me, a simple air conditioner hook-up. Some guys were remodeling an office, and I had to chuckle when I saw their "power center:"

[Linked Image]

Here's a closer view of the creative effort:

[Linked Image]

Yup ... you see a 2-gang plastic "Romex" box. A standard molded-plug 'pigtail' supplies power to ordinary duplex receptacles, and a standard plastic coverplate.

I have a few problems with this design.
First of all, a pretty hefty 'triple tap' adapter for a standard cord costs about 1/4 what this contraption costs.

There is no "strain relief" for that cord. That is, yank on the cord, and the force is transmitted to the connections. The little tab in the box does NOT provide reliable strain relief.

We can pretty much assume that dirt, etc., will freely enter the box through those tabs. The plastic boxes are also, especially in winter, pretty easily broken. For that matter, so is that cover plate.

Finally, the GFI has managed to prove itself worthwhile - and affordable.

It's safe to assume that the guy who made this was lacking in education - both electrically, and in other areas as well. Indeed, soon after I took the pics, everyone left "for lunch" ... at 9 AM! It seems someone saw the picture being taken, and fears were expressed regarding a possible raid by 'the authorities.' OOPS laugh