I personally don't have a problem with facial hair on a worker as long as it is kept clean and trimmed.
I shave every day of the week, as I have a "beard" that will often start to grow back during the day and I usually come home with stubble on my face, the warmer the weather the faster it grows. mad

As for tatts, I don't really have anything against them as long as you can't see them with "normal" clothing on.
If you want to get a tattoo on your neck or your face expect people to look at you sideways.
While I would not get one myself, I have a lot of good friends and workmates that do have them and they are bloody good workers and have no criminal record or intentions.

This is what annoys me a tad about a thread like this, people tend to pre-judge others on their appearance.
The next guy that you refuse a job because he might expose a tattoo on his upper arm during the summer, might be one of the best electricians in your State.
Do so at your own peril.

I had an interview with a young guy at work once when we were hiring a new electrician, the guy that showed up looked like he had just got out of bed (his hair was all sticking up) and had not shaved in some days before turning up.
I sat him down and asked him what he could do for our company.
His response pleased me, we chatted a bit and he started the next day.
He turned up clean shaven and with a hair cut you could set your watch by.
That guy is now the Service Manager at that company, he is a brilliant electrician.