Just some thoughts.

An Induction motor's speed is strictly a function of frequency, less slip due to demand.

So a 60hz fan motor will run about 17% slower, say 83% of original design rpm, if wired to a 50 hz supply.

Power used is a function of work done and the running stable amperes in an induction motor stator are a function of demand.

Work done by fan blades is the cube of blade rpm.
So running at 83% speed, power demand is reduced to 57% of original wattage.

The 230vac voltage is 192% higher than 120vac, so amperes reduce to about 30% of the original amperes on 120v 60hz. In fact with reduced loading, the motor slip will be less.

So the speed is less, power is less, amps are less, slip is less, and probably start period to full rpm is less.

I have 3 x 4ft diameter 230vac 50hz ceiling fans in my shop. They take 34 seconds to come up to full speed, which implies the stators are wound to take a fairly high starting current over a prolonged start period.

So my question is; will this 120v 60hz unit, bought from the States, be damaged by a higher voltage but reduced hz? I assume the unit's wiring insulation can take 600v. Seems theoretically not. Cooling parameters can't be that critical.

Or am I missing something?

Alan

Wood work but can't!