I would be afraid to do a project like that without a permit as well. Forget about the insurance part of it. At least having it inspected makes for a better chance that any errors or deficiencies will be corrected. By telling the inspector "hey, I'm just a kid", maybe there's a chance that the inspector will be patient and understanding.

My career story in this industry started out pretty much the same way as both Ians. My dad didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Our family's real estate company had a regular EC they used and I got to know him pretty well at the age of 13. By 14, I was wiring my first total gut-job residential remodel and of course, I got busted. Our friend came over and smoothed-over the inspector. He did the new service and OK'd all of my work under his own permit.

When that job was done, he hired me at the tender age of 14 to work after school. By the age of 17 when I graduated from high school, he had me supervising two other men that were three times my age. We sure wired a lot of new houses because we got along well.

As with Ian and Ian, it's not just what's in your head, but what's in your heart. If you really want it, you have to go get it.

---Ed---

"But the guy at Home Depot said it would work."