The sample I have here is made by General Cable #110417E3. It is a 2 pair CAT3 and is marked "CMX-OUTDOOR-CMR" This one happens to be a light beige in color but I have also seen it in black. It has a really nice thick outer jacket. I suspect that it is a custom for the telcos since I haven't seen it listed on their site.
I've seen similar General Cable product at HD, although it is 4-pair Cat5E rated. Same beige color, and the jacket feels like silicon. Almost slippery. Marked as "Sunlight and Oil Resistant" if memory serves. The packaging also states it is suitable for "Short outdoor runs", although "short" is not defined.
As to cracking in cold weather, I always try to bring reels inside first thing, and give them an hour or so to warm up. Not really possible on a small job, so I'll bring a couple inside overnight and load them in the morning. Front floor of the van helps keep them toasty.
Boxes are worse. Bring them in out of the cold and let them sit for an hour. Then stick your hand in through the carry hole, and it's still cool inside!