Did you buy or make that book?
I bought software that had inventory and tasks already set up in it. I made a lot of modifications to the tasks and inventory. With the software you print out your books.

Do you have a way to account for fluctuating material prices (i.e. automatically tie into purchasing etc.)?
I update my material prices manually. The software allows you to download material price updates into it but I haven't done that.

What if I decide I can put (3) #10 & (2) #12 in a 1/2” EMT?

How do you account for the drastic price difference between a GE 2-pole 30 and a Stab Lock?

I have add-on tasks for this. For example if I want to add wire to a conduit I use an add wire in conduit per foot task. For a federal pacific breaker I would use an add-on task for installing it. If I need to install a device that costs more than a dryer receptacle I would use an add-on task for that.

I usually put a work description right above the list of tasks.

Example:
Install 30a circuit for dryer & 20a circuit for washer. Install dryer cord.

JBF-1060-0060 Daily Job Fee (For Job Setup, Cleanup & Paperwork)
DCL-3050-0240 Dedicated Circuit: EMT Conduit 30a Limited Access
DCL-1001-0000 Add Additional #12 THHN Wire In Conduit Per Foot
BFP-2051-0005 ADD-ON Install Federal Pacific 30a Double Pole Breaker
BFP-1016-0005 ADD-ON Install Federal Pacific 20a Single Pole Breaker
AHU-1006-0030 Install Dryer Cord 30a

These tasks have different price columns so I can make adjustments if I feel the job conditions will make the job easier or more difficult. I could also go from a 50ft. run price to a 75ft. run price if I felt the 50ft. price was to low.

If I need to setup scaffolding or something I have tasks for that as well.

Keep in mind I'm new at this and I'm not saying this is the best way of doing this. This is just how I'm currently doing things at the moment. I'm very interested in learning how others do this as well.

[This message has been edited by A-Line (edited 01-27-2007).]