JPS1006 wrote:

about landing jobs from cold leads like those. All of my good work has always come from a reference

I want to build on references and "networking", as well. As you noted, people perusing a website may only be concerned with low bid, since they have nothing else to judge you by, not knowing you from Adam.

I've done a bit of work on Pogue projects, which is why I keep mentioning them. For example, they get the lion's share of school projects in this area. They are number one with many of the outlying school districts. And they are wrench-tight with SHW, a design, architecture, and engineering management firm. So, they pretty much get their pick of the work and, though they do bring on new subs once in a while, it's usually based on a previous relationship. In the case of my former employer, he had been proj. supt. and gen. supt working on a number of Pogue projects. When he started his own company, he was competitive in the bid but also referenced by the previous years of working together. And I can't blame them. With a millions of dollars at stake, you want the winning horse.